arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Flaws:

• fails to address leap years
    • fails to address 365th day
    • moon cycle will still slowly deviate
    • retains clunky 7-day week that doesn’t interact will with decimal counting system

I like it, but I got an even better proposal. Weeks should have ten day weeks, and each month should have 3 weeks. summer/winter solstice and the spring/autumn equinox as well as new years day are special holidays that fall between months and interrupt the week cycle. In leap years, new years is two days.

The 1st, 11th and 21st of each month are now Mondays, so you can tell the weekday of any date. Months are the same length just like in Jesse’s proposal, but an even 30 instead of a clunky 28.

I’ve thought about this a lot

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Congratulations, you’ve successfully reinvented the Egyptian civil calendar, complete with the intercalary holidays and all. Literally the only change is to add weeks. And yes, it did work really well, especially since the feast could add or lose a day to adjust to a known reference (the rise and fall of the Nile in their case). I second this proposal to go back.

• PhreakyByNature@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

No dammit, we want 3 days off in the current 7 day week cycle. 5 days off a 10 day week works for me. We ask for that, get negotiated down to 4 day weekends and it works.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I dunno man, if hump day meant I still had the rest of the day plus 3 more days until the weekend, I think I’d snap.

• realitista@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Yeah you’d definitely need one day in the middle. Or Id say even better, a 3 day and 2x2 day work weeks with days off in between.

• wolfpack86@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I hope that one of the new days is named after you and we all curse you every Potatuesday for creating more workdays.

• Siegfried@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I like the 10 days week, but people, please rush to create a new religion to cover multiple free days or im out

• GreenMario@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The extra days of the week is called Lazyday, Chillsday, and Beersday.

It is forbidden to work on these days, the Lord commands it.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

every other day is labour day, and thus a holiday.

• 1rre
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

3-1-4-2 would work and give 70% work to 30% off - currently we have 71.4% work in a 7 day week so it’s pretty similar with less friday burnout

• 1rre
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Should be from workers’ perspective, but 3-1-4-2 is still a win for pretty much everyone as it would most likely improve productivity potentially more than 4-3 while also giving “more” (marginally, but still about 4 days per year) time off than 5-2

• r00ty@kbin.life
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Weeks should have ten day weeks, and each month should have 3 weeks.

Here’s why I’m going to say no. It’s because businesses would just rip us off by turning the working week into 8 days and just retaining the 2 day weekend.

No, and double no.

• demonquark@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

That’s very pessimistic. It assumes that there is a corporate led reform. Which is unlikely. If it was a grass roots campaign, the call for change would include a weekend proposal from the start. By the time businesses come around to supporting it, the weekend will alredy be defined as 3-work-2-off, or 7-work-3-off.

• enki@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Businesses don’t have the power to do that if we collectively tell them no. But that being said, how DO you split up a 10-day week keeping the same basic ratio of “weekend” days?

Three weekdays, followed by a single “weekend” day or mid-week break, then four weekdays followed by a two-day weekend?

• xeekei@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

What names shall we give the new weekdays? Because I was thinking maybe we should rename a few existing ones, so no weekdays start with the same letters. Then they can be abbreviated to their respective first letters.

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I recently thought of abolishing timezones altogether and everybody I told thought I was batshit crazy. thank you!

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Weeks should have ten day weeks

And instead of calling them “weeks”, we could call them by the much more self-explanatory term “tendays”.

summer/winter solstice and the spring/autumn equinox as well as new years day are special holidays that fall between months and interrupt the week cycle

You can simplify it a little bit by putting the intercalary days between months, rather than using them for the solstices. We can put Midwinter between January 30 and February 1 and Midsummer between July 30 and August 1, in the northern hemisphere.

For the sake of putting it in a more user-friendly location, our leap day should be in the summer for the northern hemisphere (where most of the population is). So put it the day after Midsummer.

The only thing I would do differently from the Calendar of Harptos is that, like you, I would use New Year’s Day as the 5th annual intercalary day.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Ok, I’ve never heard of that site before, but I am definitely in its target market. Thanks for sharing!

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

the equinoxes and solstices are roughly 90 days apart anyway so we can do both :)

Calendar of Harptos actually influenced my post hehe

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

the equinoxes and solstices are roughly 90 days apart anyway so we can do both

Right, but my point was that we shouldn’t use either equinoxes or solstices, because they occur around the 21st of their month at present. It’s better to put the intercalary days in between months so that a single month doesn’t get awkwardly split up.

• SpeakinTelnet@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Current workforce is schedule around a 7day centric week. It’s far easier to reorganize where the weeks fall in the year than changing the structure of a week. Suddenly the workforce would have segment of work overlapping between weeks, it’s an organizational nightmare.

The international fixed calendar did propose a solution for the 365 days and leap year but it’s basically out-of-the-week holidays.

• dQw4w9WgXcQ@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I don’t see why 7 day weeks are bad in regard to the number system. We rarely need to divide the days of the week into equal portions. Remembering 1, 8, 15 and 22 as mondays would be trivial after a while.

You also claim that failure to address the 365th day and leap years is an issue, but your proposal also includes several cycle-breaking days. So the same issue would persist.

Moon deviation isn’t something I really worry about, but having a period which almost align with the cycle seems useful. It would be easy to just examine the initial phase within the month to chart out the rest of the month.

However, I think the biggest flaw is that the calendar would be divided into 13 equal parts, which sucks to divide into typical use cases, i.e. into 2 parts. You could split the 7th month, but it’s not really elegant. Dividing the year into 3 or 4 parts would be a mess.

• bloup@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I do five day holiday for end of the year to account for the extra days like the Mayans did but I really like your idea of spreading four of them out to the solstices and equinoxes!

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Dec can be the month with 29 days and a 4 year leap day. That way all the nonsense is in one place.

Moon cycle doesn’t matter.

7 day system is not clunky it is human.

• Norgur@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Any solution that has some form of “oh those days? Nah, we don’t count those” is disqualified immediately in my book.

• SuperDuper@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

As a software developer, I would rather give up the 1.25 days off a year just to not have to work around some weird monthless and weekless date every year.

• PotatoesFall
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Hm fair enough. Let’s make the intercalary days part of the last week of the last month before they happen for programming/numbering purposes. So Midsummer is just June 31st, or the 11th day of the 18th week.

• ℛ𝒶𝓋ℯ𝓃@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

laughs in Egyptian…

They had 5 or 6 intercalary holidays to celebrate the new year and adjust to the rise of the Nile (and we’d adjust it to astronomical time with leap years). It actually worked really well, and kept the people happy with a 5-day rest and celebration each year (something this world could definitely use).

• Norgur@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

They didn’t have software though and you don’t know if it either worked well (since the ppl who kept this system going were the same people who wrote about it) nor of it kept ppl happy. Besides: you can do that without the “not counting those” part, couldn’t you?

• Godnroc@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I think of it like the appendices of a book. The main story is counted with numbers, page 10, but the appendix is counted with Roman numerals, page X. While adding to the appendix increases the number of pages in the book, it does not change the length of the story.