Whats the point of writing prn, f@ck, sht or anything like that instead of the actual words? You can still read them, its not like they are gone if you replace a letter or two.

• Monkey With A Shell@lemmy.socdojo.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I have a habit born out of having young kids around of cartoonizing more expressive language that leaks over into online conversations. There might be a bit of that going on along side the more censorship style responses put out elsewhere.

• Moghul@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

I agree with this, but you should teach your kids, not other people’s kids. I avoid it around kids because their parents don’t want me to do it, but I do cuss in casual conversation.

• rynzcycle@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Because teaching takes time, kids don’t learn abstract concepts, like social cues, overnight.

Grandma told a funny joke, this is a lighthearted casual situation.
        “Great Fucking Joke Grandma!”

It’s not shielding them entirely, it’s waiting until they are old (read:smart) enough to have a good chance of knowing when it’s OK.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Because there really isn’t a place where it’s nessecary and thus appropriate. Sometimes it’s cathartic, but in general it’s used as a fallback for when other words and expression fail. In that regard it’s less shielding and more setting an example.

• richieadler@lemmy.myserv.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Sorry, it’s not true. A proper expletive conveys the precise emotional state and the unwillingness to preserve forced politeness, because one doesn’t feel the need to appease others, or because the situation doesn’t warrant it.

• Moghul@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

I disagree, there are definitely places where it’s necessary and it’s always appropriate where it’s necessary. It’s not a fallback for anything, it’s not a failure of the language. It’s a feature, not a bug. Probably don’t want to do it in formal environments, but even then there are times when it is absolutely the right language to use.

• squiblet@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I swear a fair bit but sometimes I feel like it’s a cop-out… a lazy way to add emphasis, and if I think for a minute I can usually find more specific and expressive words.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Calling someone a fucking ass doesn’t convey anything of what your point is. In those cases where someone absolutely can’t be reasoned with swearing at them isn’t going to change the situation, actions might, but words won’t.

Another mentioned about it being needed in some cases where the situation doesn’t merit politeness. In those cases though what’s gained by charged emotional responses if you’re going to engage at all? It’s wasting energy on things that have no benefit to anyone.

Cursing really only has any meaning because we give the words power. Similar to slurs against various groups, they only have bite because we give them meaning and history. I’ll give this challenge, give me an instance where any given situation was benefitted by their use though, outside of mere expression of rage or hate what benefit did it add?

• MrBakedBeansOnToast@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Reminds me of the show „the good place“. Thought the replacements there are quite good. Like shirt, fork, bench, ash, deck, cork. The k in fork makes it hit better while „fudge“ just doesn’t scratch that itch when you need to express yourself with „fuck“