luckily this is just a 32; i had a 70 from the same brand with the same INSANELY FUCKING STUPID STAND DESIGN that i had to find something for…literally at the most extreme edges of the thing, what the fuck is this? this is so fucking stupid, it cannot be meaningfully cheaper than a proper design and it looks fucking dumb as hell and surely this has pissed off 90% of people that wanted a TV and want to put it on a little stand like a normal fucking person right??

• Mitchie151@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Centre stands need to be way more sturdy to hold it up. You can buy aftermarket VESA centre stands though if you can’t wall mount it.

• alvvayson@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

This right here.

The TV comes with the cheapest removable feet, because VESA mounts exist.

• Vanon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Exactly. I think an aftermarket VESA mount is pretty much required these days for modern TVs, that’s the bad news. The good news is that there are plenty of options (center base, wall, swivel, etc), some very affordable, and they should last for multiple TV generations (check VESA pattern, weight limits).

But I get that these tiny, wide feet can be mind boggling at first, since TVs all used to have center stands for decades. Finally, TVs got too large, the cost savings and stability from two tiny feet won out over the alternative of the large, heavy single center base.

• Carighan Maconar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

The wider the TV gets, the more stable a two-feet-at-the-ends design becomes compared to a single central foot.

Plus if you need anything else, VESA mounts are super-standard and you just get whatever you need then use it on every Tv you buy.

• sebinspace@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

For those that live in apartments, there are VESA stands that mount to the back of your furniture, and others that use a clamp for tables, so you don’t have to put holes in your walls. I use one on my desk for a fairly wide monitor.

If you’re unfamiliar with VESA mounts, just take note of which of the two standards your device uses. These are going to be either 75x75mm or 100x100mm. Verify with a ruler, don’t rely on the literature to be accurate.

If you wanna be mega-bougie about it, you can get just the mounting plate, and there is couple hardware available to pair it with aluminum extrusion, if you really like that 2040/2080 extrusion.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Have my tv mounted on a VESA monitor arm.

The sloped design made it a bit hard to attach the plate but it worked well enough.

• Ech@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Curved monitors don’t have flat mounts? Seriously? That’s stupid af.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Who the fuck let a designer get close to the back of that thing. Only ever allow designers to view the front of anything, the back is for business.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

Samsung was the culprit.
              Was fun searching for compatible M screws as a newbie at the hardware store.

Since it’s an older model (around 2016) it was probably a trick to get a thinner look with the hardware.

• Carighan Maconar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Interesting and slightly worrying design by the manufacturer, tbh.

I have a TV with a sloped backside, but the VESA part had a removable panel that was replaced with a non-curved one before putting in the screws.

• AlexWIWA@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I wish higher end TVs had the option to buy without the stand. They always have beefy center stands in the box even though everyone mounts high end TVs.

Now I’m just stuck with a 50lbs stand that I have no use for.

• S_204@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Op didn’t check the specs on the item he bought and is upset it’s not perfectly tailored to his individual tastes.

You love to see it.

• glimse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Putting a giant TV on a tiny stand is not normal… Be mildly infuriated at yourself, not the manufacturer

• myplacedk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Yep, the included feet are just something you might be able to use until you get a real mount.

If you really want the TV to stand on furniture, buy a proper vesa mounted stand (they can be very cheap) and maybe even a proper TV table.

• DingoBilly@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

OP blaming their shitty decisions on others. Why are you buying something without knowing its dimensions?

Fuck I hate people like this. The answer btw is pretty obvious. From a weight distribution perspective it’s easiest to have two feet as wide apart as possible.

• freeindv@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

“weight distribution”… They weight practically nothing, and even old heavy ass CRTs sat on narrow platform mounts

• krakenx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I have the same TV and built a custom stand for it. Doesn’t change the fact that the included stand is a bad design.

• _number8_@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

well good thing they’re a professional company with professional engineers, glad they’re taking the easy route

i bought it because i was at the store and thought ‘damn a bedroom tv would be nice’ and it was black friday. it’s only 32" i hope it fits on the table, and if not i can rig something up, but either way, god fucking dammit these new legs are terrible design because now i have to think about this instead of them just having a damn stand in the center like everyone used to

was sort of what i was thinking

• ikidd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

So take it back? If you put it back in the packaging and said “hey, this doesn’t fit where I want it”, they should take it back. I’ve never dealt with a store that wouldn’t.

I could see this if you ordered it online, sight unseen. Like, if the website were text-based and had no pictures and the description was “It’s a TV”. But you were at a physical store…

• Tuss@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

He knew the dimensions of the place where the TV was supposed to go.

He went to the store, saw the TV, he saw the box with a picture of it.

So he brought it home, unpacked it, placed it where it was obviously not going to be able to go.

Then he plugged it in and turned it on.

And instead of just putting it back in its packaging and bringing it back to the store and admit defeat. Or order a new piece of furniture Amazkea.

He instead went on here to fucking complain.

• slackassassin@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

They gambled on an eyeball measurement from memory and lost. It’s not that deep.

They don’t need to return it because it can still be mounted on a stand or wall. And maybe they want to watch crooked Netflix in the meantime.

…And they complained on mildly infuriating, which seems appropriate because it’s not that big of a deal.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Actually it’s been a design standard for a long time for screens to have a single pedestal support in the center. It’s reasonable for OP to buy a TV without checking because until recently these side legs wouldn’t have existed.

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

Both me and my flatmate got new TVs to replace our decade+ old ones. Cannot find a single 40+ inch TV within our price ranges that comes with a center stand, it’s all feet. It’s a shame, we liked having our TVs sitting next to each other in the living room to play pseudosplitscreen video games, but now they don’t fit.

• Globulart@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                7 months ago

Have you considered buying one with feet and spending $30 on a vesa stand to solve the issue?

• slackassassin@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Feels like everyone is taking this a little too seriously for something mildy infuriating.

Surely, op is capable of solving this minor issue, which is why they rolled the dice that it might fit.

• Ab_intra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

To be honest they think that people plan ahead for something like this…

• baatliwala@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

How do you not do research on the dimensions of anything before buying something big like a TV?

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Mate I’ll have done a 3D reconstruction of the room accurate to the mm to test everything out. I’m only slightly exaggerating, I literally did exactly that when planning my new office/studio, had the room in 3D long before we got the house, built everything myself, custom desk, acoustic treatment, etc.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

They’re like $150 and fit on a dresser. How much remodeling are you going to do for it

• IndefiniteBen@leminal.space
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

It just takes a single measurement to avoid this… Measure/estimate width of the cabinet, look at the TV width, look at pictures of the TV. Then, if the TV is wider than the platform and has wide legs, don’t buy something that probably won’t fit.

I agree with the others, OP rushed to buy this on black friday without enough thought and now regrets that decision.

• Krudler@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

So many people attacking OP and perhaps not remembering there was a time when nearly all flat panel TVs came on a pedestal mount. The designs were largely changed to mitigate claims and liability.

• 4am@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Nobody tell him about what TV makers expected of you when they were all CRTs…

• Vilian@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

they expect you to know the lengh of your own table that’s why they put the lengh on the site, also, the legs are already short, how OP expext the TV to be stable with it even shorter??

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

You can make a stable mount without legs as wide as the TV. I have two 27in, 1440p monitors, which both came with stands that were probably 30% as wide as the monitors themselves. However, the stands were weighted and primarily steel (I’m assuming it was steel anyway) with a plastic shell. A TV doesn’t need a wide base unless the company that made it is cheaping out and refuses to spend the money to make a weighted base.

• Aux@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Your monitors are probably much more expensive than this TV.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

If my 75" TV can have a small center stand under it there’s no excuse for smaller tvs to have extra wide stands.

• CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

This is like a $150 TV. They aren’t going to make a $50 solid steel base and internal frame for that over some cheap injection molded legs.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I will never mount a TV on the wall. That shits annoying.

• CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

How is it annoying? I try to wall mount every TV because then I can move it around or angle it easily and it looks 100x better than hanging halfway off a bedside table.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

The annoying thing for me is that you have to plug them in and hiding the power cord from dangling down the wall to an outlet sucks, and the only other option is to wire it up through the wall, which is way more work.

That and, again, the mount is sold separately for like 90% of TVs. Just include a basic one with the TV. It’s literally just a piece of machined metal.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

For me I hate the giant holes in my wall. Taking the mount down is a pain. Once it’s up you can’t move the TV anywhere else. Also, I hate tilting my head up just to see the TV.

Edit. Apparently not hanging a TV is a criminal offense around here.

• wrath_of_grunge@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

if you’re making giant holes in your wall, you’re mounting wrong.

most wall mounts are going to be two or three bolt holes into a stud. they should be about as big around as a sharpie. if you remove the mount, a small dab of spackle covers them.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

I tend to rearrange my livingroom more than once a lifetime.

• Nudding@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                7 months ago

Do you plan on painting ever? That would be the perfect time to fill the holes and paint over them…

• Summzashi@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Do you realize you’re allowed to hang your tv at any height you desire? The police won’t arrest you if you just put your tv at eye level.

• grue@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

The police won’t arrest you if you just put your tv at eye level.

Frankly, the crime should be if you put it at anything but eye level.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

Do you realize I simply do not want my TV hanging on a wall?

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

You have to find the studs, drill holes, make sure you have screws that are long enough (I imagine most wall mounts come with these, but never tried to actually wall-mount a TV), make sure the mount is level, then attach the mount to the wall, then the TV to the mount. That’s if you don’t care about exposed cables, and if you ever plan on showing your room off, someone’s gonna point out the lack of cable management (hurrr… Why aren’t the cables hidden?).

If you want to hide the cables too, then you have to cut holes in the wall, which means having some kind of saw. If you want the holes to look nice, then you need plates to go over the holes. Depending on the plates – whether they’re a basic, generic passthrough that you push cables through, or something more professional with actual sockets for dedicated inputs/outputs – you may need extra cables, one for each connection you’re wanting to route through the wall, plus extra cables to connect the plate behind the TV to the TV itself.

Now, if you don’t want to diy it, then you could pay someone to do it which makes it a lot easier on you, but now you’re spending cash to have someone do an easy but annoying and time consuming job for you.

• CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

This is mostly unnecessary. I just slap the wall mount up into the studs, hang the TV, and use a $7 cable concealer to hide the power cord. Dedicated outlets for power and video behind the TV is great but that’s more suited for rich people or electricians.

• bingbong@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

The true reason is cost, those stands that are included nowadays are insanely cheap and flimsy. If you’re buying a large TV, you should budget $30-$50 for a VESA mount.

• GodlessCommie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I think the fucking stupid part of this post is the OP buying a TV oversized for the space they want it on.

• kattenluik@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I guarantee you the box and everything else also showed the legs being on the side.

• Zess@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Pretty sure when I got my tv there was info on the box about how large of a surface it needs to stand on. OP made a big purchase without doing any planning or research and now they’re whining that something isn’t right 🙄

• Swarfega@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

OP never bothered to research their purchase properly to buy a TV with a centre stand…

• SuperIce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Because you bought a really cheap TV and the little feet on the sides are cheaper than a center stand that needs to be much heavier and sturdier.

• The Barto@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Yeah that’s one of those companies that buy bulk cheap TVs to slap their logo on and make out they’re a tech company… Looking at you Kogan.

• Dgs@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

TCL owns it’s own panel manufacturing company.

The latter half of your comment are probably what use TCL panels, but in this case, this is straight from the source.

• The Barto@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Hmm if that’s the case I might try the TCL codes on my Universal remote, can’t get it to work with my Kogan tv.

• milan616@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

No one has seemed to mention the rise of sound bars. Center stands block sound bars and so so many people are using them now.

• apinanaivot@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s because TV’s no longer come with decent audio because they are made as thin as possible for whatever reason.

• soggy_kitty@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Bought a new OLED from LG last year. Main body is 3-4 inches thick and the sound is bloody incredible. There are still some gems out there

• Camelbeard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

No surprise, a wide screen tv from the late 90s was big enough to house 2 gaint speakers and a subwoofer.

• funktion@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

My dad’s place still has a gigantic plasma TV from 2000 that takes up maybe 1/3rd of the room it’s in. Great picture, great sound. Completely impractical.

• bemenaker@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Flat Panel TV were always meant to use with a sound system. It is only meant to display video. The belief has always been they are for higher end viewing. And it’s impossible to get good sound out of a audio in a chassis that thin, that is why sound bars exist. Ask anyone who knows home theaters and they will tell you more than 50% of the experience is the audio. You’re better off spending money on a good audio system and even going with a smaller screen if dealing with budget constraints for the best experience. They make them as thin as possible because people want that.

• freeindv@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Yeah the speakers they come with are totally just for like pretend. They aren’t real or anything