A school board member in Tuolumne County, California “read in Revelations that I was going to be executioner for God and kill your children"

• lobsticle 🦞@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

We need to find out what churches folks like this are being indoctrinated in and forcibly shut them down.

• Drusas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

At the very least, tax those churches. Churches today are political. Not all of them, but a lot of them. That means they do not qualify for tax exempt status. Of course, any politician is terrified of going against the extremely vocal evangelical minority, so nothing will be done about it.

• HoustonHenry@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

It’s a large enough voting block of people wanting to turn back the clock on the US (in the worst way possible) to tempt anyone without morals

• UFODivebomb@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

“Portillo and another administrator met with Vassar on Oct. 30 to discuss his mental health, along with school board matters. After leaving, he sent them emails with a total of 93 pages of comments, some of them profane.”

Ah yes. That’ll definitely prove you are mentally stable.

• atx_aquarian@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

The Modesto Bee

Tuolumne County

the Union Democrat newspaper

Belleview Elementary School District board

six miles west of Twain Harte

I love an article where none of the handful of geographic clues mean anything to me. These sound like names in a fictional universe. Without just googling, I’m guessing Washington state.

Edit: Ahhhhh, California. “Modesto” should have been my strongest clue.

• TotalTrash@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

read in Revelations

They didn’t have the reading comprehension to know it’s “Revelation”, as in “the Revelation of/to John”, so…

• CADmonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Imagine thinking christian terrorists read the bible. No, they just find an angry enough loud person to read the violent parts out loud to them.

• Burn_The_Right@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

It should be illegal for conservatives to be employed in positions overseeing children in any way.

Conservatives are notorious for being opposed to science and education. They are infamous for racism, homophobia, xenophobia, transphobia, misogyny, bigotry, sexual assault of adults and sexual assault of children.

We should teach children why it is dangerous and immoral to keep company with conservatives. Never let your child be alone with a conservative. Never.

• clockwork_octopus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I really hope this guy gets a lot of serious mental help. And also has his guns taken away. And never works around children again.

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Time for the guys with that long white jacket. This guy needs some real help asap, but needs to be separated from humanity for safety reasons until he is safe to come back.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Vassar was appointed to a vacancy on the three-member board in 2015 and won elections in 2016 and 2022.

So this guy wasn’t even elected. Someone just put this obviously crazy person in a position of power. God bless America.

• nfh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

He won two elections, as noted in the bit you quoted, in 2016 and 2022, after initially being appointed