• SokathHisEyesOpen
    link
    fedilink
    6610 months ago

What this picture doesn’t show is that Microsoft HQ isn’t one building. It’s like 1000 buildings. It’s the size of a small city. You can drive for 10 minutes and still be at the Microsoft HQ. It’s insane. They have their own mall, their own soccer field, their own bank branches, and their own shuttle system. The amount of money Microsoft has is truly mind boggling.

• @dj3hac@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    5810 months ago

You know it’s true because that dev only has one Friggin screen. No wonder multi monitor support is fucked.

• @Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      1210 months ago

If I remember correctly Linus uses i3 primarily, so instead of wasting 20% of the screen on UI and compensating with a second screen you only look at 30% of the time, it just tiles your windows so you can make more efficient use of the screen you have

• voxel
        link
        fedilink
        010 months ago

…if you use Wayland. it’s a hit or miss janky experience with some weird limitations on x11.

• @complacent_jerboa@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Actually, I haven’t gotten around to trying Wayland yet! Mostly because i3 on X11 works well enough for me already.

I mean, I literally just plugged in my monitor, then went into Arandr and dragged the funny rectangles a little.

Edit: For reference, my multi-monitor setup is literally just 2 monitors side by side. In my case, I did have to change some settings, specifically set the left one as primary rather than the right one, and make them tile in a slightly different way. But I wouldn’t say it involved any “jank” — just some configuration, same as it would on any other OS. (Specifically, I dual-boot windows 10 for some rather silly reasons, and I found the multi-monitor configuration process very comparable in terms of jank or complexity.)

• @notepass@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

I mean X11 is a janky mess. Wayland adds a lot of improvements (I can finally do screen-based scaling with logging out!). The software support on DE side is just missing a bit (Tho it has gotten leaps better in the last 5 years, I am now using KDE in wayland mode with an intel iGPU without issues! Hussah!)

• I'm Hiding 🇦🇺
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

This is completely untrue in my experience. My X230T has two battlestations: One with an old, square Samsung VGA monitor, and another two hours away with a modern, DisplayPort, high resolution Dell. I regularly hot-swap monitors by unceremoniously pulling it off or slamming it on to either docking station while it’s running, and even transform it into tablet mode and flip the internal display output 180° without upsetting the external display.

All of this on Fedora 38 Cinnamon, firmly running X11. No “jank” in sight.

• anonymous
      link
      fedilink
      010 months ago

Wow, that’s pretty impressive, I had no idea. Imagine just being a stupid ring. (Sorry, I’m just an apple hater)

• 1024_Kibibytes
      link
      fedilink
      3110 months ago

That sounds more like Gentoo. With Arch, you at least get the foundation with plumbing and electrical run to the site.

• @produnisOP
      link
      910 months ago

I am using Arch, btw

• Crozekiel
        link
        fedilink
        1310 months ago

Is Arch like the linux version of being Vegan? ie the running joke is people using Arch can’t get through a conversation without mentioning it? I feel like I’ve see basically a carbon copy of this comment on so many posts about Linux I’m wondering if there’s an “in joke” there I am missing, lol.

• kn0wmad1c
    link
    fedilink
    1410 months ago

Red Hat has multiple large buildings around the world, but that doesn’t fit the meme.

• @14th_cylon@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

it is not true and you have pretty strange definition of “funny”

i take that back, after an explanation, it is hilarious

• @14th_cylon@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

I didn’t double check if those buildings really are Microsoft and Apple

that is not what i meant

doesn’t make the unexpected contrast to Linus Torwalds on his walking desk less funny

ok, that is truly funny.

the problem is that unless you know that the butt you are looking at the third picture is linus’s, it just looks like some “haha, rich companies and poor linux” joke (which can be pretty easily disproved)

• Jeena
            link
            fedilink
            110 months ago

Yeah ok, but it’s not the jokers fault if some of the audience doesn’t get the joke :). The more specific a joke is the more funny it becomes, which - yes - excludes some people.

• @14th_cylon@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              10 months ago

so, by your definition, the most funny joke in the world is some inside joke between you and your spouse? i don’t think that is how it works ;)

• @14th_cylon@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

regardless of your definition of funny, if you share such inside joke with general public and then wonder why they don’t understand, that is serious lapse in judgement.

same as when you share a joke that is only understandable to those who have already seen it and received explanation or have seen some obscure 8 years old video. that is badly crafted joke.