• LemmyLefty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There’s gonna be a floating graveyard of billionaires whizzing around the Earth and taking out satellites soon enough.

Bonus points whenever they hit a Starlink.

• dudebro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Rejoice, subsistence farmers of Africa.

This is what your overlords are spending their money on.

• eggshappedegg@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

They have upgraded the controller and now use a wired xbox version so that it will never run out of batteries. It’s safer than ever

• hardypart@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Just today I learned in a YT vid how much more dangerous the deep sea is compared to space. In the ISS there’s around 1 bar of pressure, in space it’s zero. 1 bar difference. In the deep sea it’s more like 1000 bar vs 1 bar.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Now I wouldn’t spend that much money on a short trip to the edge of space even if I had it. If I’m going to blow that much money at once, I’ll blow it on charity.

• NewEnglandRedshirt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s the whole “edge of space” thing that really pisses me off. When the billionaires started talking about creating their own space program, I was expecting corporate settlements on the moon or Mars–dystopian, to be sure, but at least humanity would be making progress to the stars. But no, let’s be content with charging people to get to the edge of space so they can go home and tell themselves they’re astronauts.

• ivanafterall@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s like driving to the Disney World sign, taking a photo, then going home and telling everyone you went to Disney World.

• Ghostc1212@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Rich people used to pay the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars to ride short distances on triplanes just so they could see the ground from above. That’s what this is. Soon, rich people will be going on trips to the Moon, and then middle class people will be able to afford it later. New technologies are always expensive at first but then get cheaper, case in point, the computer you’re using right now.

Also, I doubt a corporate settlement is gonna be any worse than any other settlement considering almost everything the colony actually needs will be produced in the colony itself after the first few years and the corporation can’t do much from all the way over on Earth if the colony decides to do something they don’t like. Colonization schemes have usually been private endeavors that get subsumed by the state anyway, been like that since the Americas. I support anyone who brings us to the stars, including rich people.

• Aboyandhistrains@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I also like the implications of this technology when it does become affordable. Flights at the edge of space can go faster and have the potential to be more efficient for long distances.

• dudebro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Pretty much.

It’s important people are left barely alive so parasites can talk all they can.

• Zlatil@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If I had the money to blow I wouldn’t give it all to charity… Some, sure, I can think of a few I like.

That being said, after getting my luxury bones fixed and getting out of pain, I’d just buy a house and pay off my car.

Then retire. Probably move somewhere tropical… Or isolated, haven’t decided. Maybe both is possible. All I know is a fiber (or future equivalent) would be mandatory.

Because if I have 450k to just blow, I’ve got way more in reserve.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

My thought is if I can afford to blow 450k on a space trip, I can afford to give it to some needy cause instead and still live a good life.

• dudebro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Those were the days, but nah.

How are you going to show off to your peers by helping others? That’s not sexy right now. It’s sexy to exploit others for… checks notes… SPACE!!!

• starlinguk@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Branson is more of an old brand billionaire, though. He doesn’t think money can override science and health and safety.