• RaineV1@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

There were far more successful ones at the same time that did well. This one is just infamous for bad management.

• XmarkiertdenSpot
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Amundsen, the one that succeded in the race to the South Pole lived by a great motto: You only need good luck if you didn’t plan properly. He was a true adventurer with a sharp mind, shame he disappeared on a rescue mission.

• espentan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Semi fun fact; my great great grandfather was Amundsens brother. Well, one of the two brothers, anyway.

• XmarkiertdenSpot
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

That’s amazing! I’m sure there’s loads of family stories?! Fun fact, I work at an archive and recently researched Amundsen’s North Pole expedition and the flying boat he used, very impressive story despite them failing to reach the pole!

• uservoid1@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Many expeditions to the “Unknown” ended gruesomely because they didn’t know and were not prepared; While going to these places today one has a very good chance to survive. I can only assume it will be the same with space explorations (once we’ll get there). The first trips will have extremely poor surviving rates but later you might as well go there with your class field trip.