• mino@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I see plenty of Empathy in the world, compassion is what we need I think. Empathy ironically makes people egotistical becaause if the feeling they emphesize with is bad they might blame the victom for transmitting them ‘bad vibes’ for instance. Or you might make an unfair decision because it appealed to your emotions. However with compassion you recognize someone is in need of help and try to provide that help, sidestepping all sorts of nasty pitfalls and leaving you a lot chiller.

• Google@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I feel like empathy is an umbrella term for different kinds of understanding about “the other person” at different times and different situations. It’s so vague it’s easy to both miss seeing it and finding it at all.

• ouigol@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

People should really know how to research. Sure, almost everyone knows how to do a google search, but there are shockingly many people who can’t research, i.e view multiple sources including those that don’t align with your views.

• Google@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yes! It’s all Facebook, Twitter, tiktok etc “content discoverable” platforms and WhatsApp.

• dystop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Basic cooking.

You don’t need to be Gordon Ramsey, but in a pinch, know how to make pasta, chilli and a few other things.

• Sneezycat@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Is chilli considered basic? Spicy food is not that common where I live. For me the basics would be to know how to:

-Peel and cut veggies

-Boil stuff

-Fry eggs

But maybe it’s a cultural thing! I’m interested in knowing what you’re doing with your chilli peppers ;)

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Basic chili recipe (people from texas can bite their tongue for five minutes one time):

• beans
        • tomatoes
        • onions
        • peppers

A little bit of cumin and salt to taste and you actually don’t need anything else to get something that is recognizable as chili.

I add all sorts of other stuff, but that’s the basics.

• dystop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh i meant chili as in American chili. Beans and ground beef.

Basically, just knowing how to make something easy for a quick meal if you need to.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ll just say I am lucky enough to have been the child in my family who learned to cook from my mom, but I can certainly agree people should know at least the basics.

• ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶@lemmy.nz
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Computer comprehension. You should have a basic understanding of what your pc is doing, web certificates, passwords, how to tell when youre being scammed, and how to protect your personal info. Knowledge doesnt need to be deep, just wide.

• jmp242@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I would say way more important is how to identify scams, whether they are online, by phone, mail or in person. Just a basic heuristic on - is this too good to be true? So you can take a pause and go do research. Most of the time, a ticking clock on a “great deal” is just a sales scam, and that “for 10 minutes only price” comes back weekly or is just actually “the price”.

Realize what makes “a call about your cars warranty” or “your credit card rate” spam at best. Take that and apply to more things. Is the car salesman vague about stuff? Probably going to try and screw you. Does the subscription only show the promotional rate? Know to get that ongoing rate before signing up. Just try and hone a gut feeling when things seem off somehow.

• Navigate@partizle.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Despite what the term “digital natives,” I really feel this skill is slipping. Many of my peers woud probably get lapped by a boomer if they had to use an actual PC again

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

A skill is too much to ask. I just want people to move out of the way when they get off the escalator so I don’t bump into their asses.

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Not even. They literally just stand there at the exit of the escalator, looking around for where to go next, and I have nowhere to go but to bump into them, because the escalator doesn’t exactly let me stop when they stop.

• rmuk@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Preemption.

Not just when they’re walking, but waiting until they’re at the front of the queue to decide what to order, or being surprised when the light turns green, or getting home to find nothing to eat in the fridge… The number of people I know who just refuse to think a couple of steps ahead.

• Frater Mus@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

“Specialization is for insects. A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” – Heinlein

• taladar@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Basic arithmetic to the point where you can e.g. calculate things like a budget when money is tight.

Enough understanding of statistics and probability to be able to understand what numbers reported in news stories about events and politics mean.

• jmp242@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

They never tell you enough on the statistics on the news to actually get much solid info. Like sample size, error bars, did they fit a particular distribution, what was tossed as outliers and more.

I always think about the chance of rain report and the different explanations of what it might mean (I don’t recall which is correct, but it illustrates how confusing it can be) :

Chance of rain today based on a predictive model

Is different from

It WILL rain today in this region and this percent of land area will get rain

Is different from

Over all the historical data for this region, we got rain on this percent of days when the conditions were “the same” in the past.

But all can be reasonably said to be 59% chance of rain today.

• taladar@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Agreed. But part of the reason why they never report the numbers is that most of the readers don’t understand them anyway.

And a lot of the time it is not even just complex studies people don’t understand. There are also those who can’t even judge the magnitude of numbers, e.g. when it comes to spending or the magnitude of percentages (e.g. that 25000 occurrences of a minor crime in a year is not a lot if the country has dozens of millions of inhabitants)

• charles@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It does vary from place to place but in North America at least, most often it’s that it will rain in __% of the land area.

Additionally, I would add that knowing about statistics at least allows you to understand that without that additional info, any stat is essentially meaningless, or at least easily misleading.

• Chaotic Entropy@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

In this day and age, how to stay safe online and spot what are often very obvious attempts at fraud/malicious activity.

• k0mprssd@wirebase.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

this, plus education about the dangers of online platforms and how they are used to spread misinformation and try to suck their users into an endless content stream via algorithm.

• Saigonauticon@voltage.vn
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Learning things quickly.

It’s totally its own skill, and you can learn to learn faster. What skills are useful changes with time – the ones used in your career now might age like milk for reasons beyond your control.