• maegul@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not to be a bully to some of these new projects, who people have I’m sure worked hard on, but a few lemmy instances are big enough that they could probably count as their own “Reddits” and have distinct enough “personalities” for this list …

beehaw.org

lemmynsfw.com

feddit.de

lemmy.blahaj.zone

• Sam BOT@lemmy.worldOPB
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes that makes sense I’ve added NSFW. How would you describe the character of the others?

• habanhero@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If by “Reddit” you mean internet discussion forums, I guess? It’s a super simplistic way to look at things.

Tildes, for example, is pretty clear that they are not and do not want to become another “Reddit”.

• Chozo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Gotta say, I liked seeing this on Trust Cafe’s FAQs:

Is Trust Café a ‘Free Speech Platform’?
    No. Emphatically not. Trust Café’s mission is to provide a non-toxic social media platform, which cannot happen in an environment where anything goes. We take a proactive stance against hate speech, harassment, and misinformation.

• Alter_Id@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My impression of squabbles after a while was more “feigned whimsy reddit”. The people who loved the quirky snu aspect of reddit found their way there. “Oh look, he’s wearing a box on his head with a face hole cut out! Ha ha!” - “He’s holding a plate with a piece of birthday cake in one hand and a saxophone in the other! What a whacky character!!!” - “He’s piloting a rocket ship! Space is amAAAAAzing!!!”

The dev seemed like he was impressively dedicated to improving the platform, but I didn’t jive with what I perceived at the time to be the emerging culture there. Nothing offensive about it, but that’s not at all what I’m looking for really. I haven’t been there any type of regularly for a couple weeks, so not sure if that’s still a thing.

Also, I don’t pay strict attention to what instances they’re coming from, but I’ve blocked many communities throughout the fediverse that spam memes like they’re running out of time or something. I don’t think squabbles exclusively lays claim to that type of behavior.

Just my opinion.

• Veltoss@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Has tildes said when they will change their restrictions? Would love to try it but as far as I know it’s invite only.

• Chainweasel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve tried it and honestly it’s just way too empty for me, and they like it that way. It feels like they’re isolationists and very slow moving. Not a bad place overall and great if you want a low energy environment that’s more fixated on community engagement than memes, but the engagement is days apart and and there’s not a ton of active users. The site layout is almost exactly the same as old Reddit and it feels familiar in that respect, but it’s not a good time waster if you check your phone a lot.