I will read arcane texts by candlelight before I watch ads. fuck off. Susan Wojcicki go to fucking hell

• CrushKillDestroySwag@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

google deciding if you turn off watch history you now don’t get any homepage recommendations

tbh I found this to be an improvement over the previous front page. All I care about are my subscriptions, and interesting looking videos that get posted on this site.

• boreengreen@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yea! I don’t understand people who used the home page. The few times I accidentally went there, it was full of irrelevant crap and clickbait.

• CindyTheSkull [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I don’t know how I accomplished this tbh, but I curated my homepage recommendations pretty well. It got to a point where I would not watch certain videos not out of a lack of interest, but out of not wanting the algorithm to think I wanted to see more of that shit and keep things balanced. My homepage ended up being mostly the latest content from my subscriptions anyway, with something reasonably related to them thrown in here and there. In other words, it was mildly helpful.

That was over a year ago though, and I don’t know if it’s changed, because I still fucking hate youtube, google, etc with a burning passion and exclusively use frontends like invidious or piped now. I have a redirect script on every browser I use to change any youtube link to one of those alternatives. I think you can still have subscriptions on some of them, but I don’t use that feature.

• Sushi_Desires [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Mine is curated well too. Idk if it’s because I accidentally created a “brand” subaccount back when google acquired yt without understanding what I was doing at the time, but whenever I click “do not recommend this channel” yt actually stops showing it to me. This has resulted in a bunch of recommendations that were actually very, very good

• YearOfTheCommieDesktop [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

as others have said below, mine was pretty well curated after having the account so long, and it was a nice mix of “vids I missed from people who I watch every video of”, new vids from my subs, and random videos related to my interests. I like the idea of just going through my subscriptions in theory but I have too many, so new videos from people who I really lke watching get buried in the feed by videos from channels I’m interested in keeping up with but I dont watch anywhere near every video