Now that 0.19 is in testing on a couple of servers we’re faced with the reality that Liftoff is probably not going to be functional for much longer. So I’m curious what everyone’s got planned.

Personally I’ve got my eye on !raccoonforlemmy@lemmy.world which is currently under development but looks like it might be the closest to my ideal. Developer describes it thusly:

I liked the feature richness of Liftoff (e.g. the possibility to explore all the communities of an external instance), the multi-community feature of Summit and the polished UI of Thunder and I wished I could have them all in the same app.

It’s currently very promising, but also very buggy so I’m hopeful it might be in a more usable state by the time 0.19 starts majorly rolling out. We shall see. The dev put out a call for testers a couple days ago but I’m sure more wouldn’t hurt if anyone wants to give it a whirl.

I’ve tried most of the main Android options by this point, Summit gets the most use just because of multi-communities (great for sports and other happening-right-now events) but I’m really not a fan of its interface.

Boost looks nice and simple, but I find a lot of the features to be just straight-up broken.

Sync and Eternity both put me off with their looks even though they look totally different to each other!

Connect would probably be my second choice so far, but I’d still need to keep Summit around for the multi-communities which is a bit annoying.

That’s about the extent of my investigations at this point. Would love to hear which you’ve tried and what you like / dislike from the point of view of a Liftoff user. Let’s get some recommendations ironed out before everything breaks and this group is overrun with people asking why 😅

• slice@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I’m using voyager. And happy with it. Just wanted to at it to the list

• Extras@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Same just miss being able to sort posts

Edit: you can now sort posts

• TeaHands@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Oh interesting, last time I did a proper trawl was when everything was on fire and the devs were almost begging people to stop using Jerboa so they could concentrate on Lemmy core. Will have to check out the changes since my knowledge is clearly out of date, cheers.

• Björn Tantau@swg-empire.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

No idea, my instance is still on 0.18. But judging by the last commit 0.19 support is only partially done.

• doeknius_gloek@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I really love Boost and haven’t noticed broken features. It was a Reddit client before, so it’s already really polished and offers, in my experience, a great UX.

The only downside I see is that it isn’t open source, but I don’t care for now.

I also used Voyager for a while and it’s really good too.

• TeaHands@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Maybe it’s something wrong with my account. For example I’m logged in, I go to browse All or Local, and bam! Full of communities I already have blocked. And trying to block them again through Boost itself seems to do nothing either. It’s weird.

• doeknius_gloek@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I think this is a side effect of the 0.19 release. I could reproduce your issue with an account on a 0.19 instance, but not on 0.18.5. This will probably get fixed after some time.

• TeaHands@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Huh, interesting! We’re definitely still on 0.18.5 here but I expect having to cater to both versions at once is probably causing all kinds of obscure bugs. Good to know it normally works ok, though :D

• TeaHands@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah I definitely like it visually a lot more than most others too. Do you know if they’re looking at adding multi-community type features?

• PDFuego@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I don’t know anything about the development, I just use it 🤷‍♀️ I imagine they probably have their own community you could ask. I’m still just scrolling though all with a good 1200+ communities blocked and every US politician’s name I could think of added to the title filters.

• TeaHands@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Hah, I feel that! No worries just thought I’d ask in case you’d heard anything :D

• TheLameSauce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I switched to Sync a while back cause Liftoff just wasn’t working the way I wanted it to and have been pretty happy with it. The layout is pretty customizable so it might be worth giving it another chance and seeing if you can play around with it enough to get it where you like.

• TeaHands@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah I fiddled with it a fair bit when it first came out, there’s nothing hugely wrong with it it just doesn’t “feel” right, you know? I think given that I was a RiF and then Liftoff user, maybe my brain craves a bit of jank lol

• QuarterSwede@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Check out Lemma too. Pretty good so far and progress is being made. It also has the best app icon of any of them.

• med@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I switched to Thunder. It’s not perfect (search could use some work).

It doesn’t reload my main feed everytime I return after looking at an article, and lets me hid posts I’ve ‘read’. ¯_(ツ)_/¯. It supports amoled black themes, swipe gestures and is reasonably unobtrusive.

Also, it’s cross platform for iOS and android, and I switch back and forth on a daily basis.

• AwwTopsy@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Thunder has been decent in my experience as well. I just wish the icon was nicer… Not even sure what it’s supposed to be? An S? No idea

• sp6@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I’ve mostly been using Voyager, but Eternity and Thunder are pretty good too. Just try them all and pick your favorite.

• guriinii@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Just installed Eternity. Infinity was my go to app for reddit so I’m pretty pleased at the moment!

• illi@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Eternity is so far the second best app I’ve found, after Liftoff ofc

• weker01@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I think I’ll also settle for eternity. It does feel different than liftoff and rif but not impossible to get used to.

• Aa!@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m from RIF, I use Voyager with compact mode and disabled gestures. It’s exactly what I was looking for

• TeaHands@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s why I picked it too. Hoping Raccoon can fill the gap with a bit more development time 🤞

• bayank@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I’m assuming these are all for Android only. What about iOS? I’m using Memmy but it’s got some quirks too and I’m still looking for the Apollo experience.

• nezbyte@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Avelon: reminds me most of Apollo. Paywalls for premium features of course. Mlem: decent and getting better with every update. Arctic: not a fan of the current cluttered compact post view Voyager: stable web-app with frequent updates Liftoff: Had major cache issues in iOS, mine got up to 100GB. Excellent view on another instance support. Memmy: decent, but the design isn’t my favorite.

• FelipeFelop@discuss.online
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Voyager is also available as a native app. Note that because of authentication changes in 0.19 no PWA will be able to simultaneously support 0.19 and lower versions. It will require a native app.

• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m iOS as well and Memmy has been not showing the first comment for me so im just using Avelon now

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Another vote for Voyager, it’s so close to Apollo that Christian said it looked like he’d contributed to the design.

• bayank@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Thanks, this was enough to get me to try it and within 5 mins I’m uninstalling Memmy. I immediately got Apollo vibes. Thanks!

• AgnosticMammal@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

Have a look at the PWA versions of the online clients if you’re using iOS. I believe the costs to develop on Apple devices may be expensive for developers and so won’t develop a native app for iPhones.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

It looks like v0.19 has been released, so over the next days instances will update. So unless there’s a sudden new compatible version, we’re at the end of Liftoff!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Just to add that when an instance upgrades to v0.19 all logins are invalidated. So you’ll need to log back in. So it would be good to choose your new app before that happens.