• kpw@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Banks could simply come together and develop an open banking standard for customers. Would probably save them a lot of money too, since the development of their stupid apps presumably costs them a lot.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Yeah, but think about all the data they can gather for their marketing team and the ads they can send over notifications.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Software that burns down the server of any website that asks for data they don’t actually need.

• minstrel@lemmy.eco.br
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

health smartwatch app, with sleep n all features in some opensource format that could use any other app data… utopia, i know

• Player2@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Not sure if this already exists in some form, but I want something that always records where I’ve been. I am a very forgetful person and the Google maps timeline feature has been very helpful more than a handful of times. Unfortunately, it means that Google knows exactly where I’ve been also…

I just want to be able to check where I was the afternoon of a random Tuesday three years ago!

• I Cast Fist@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

A browser addon that utterly floods advertisers and trackers with dummy data. A single person using it is easy to single out. A thousand start to eat into the profits. 100k should make them go offline (DDoS’ed) with an interesting frequency.

• ono@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Do services count? Because in that case, ride-hailing. A replacement for services like Uber and Lyft.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

So true! In Germany we have Blablacar and Flixbus / Flixtrain, which have soo much better services to travel cheaply. But its proprietary “install our app” garbage

• Chais@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

What’s wrong with taxi services?
      From a client perspective Uber and Lyft don’t solve any issue that taxi services don’t. They may be more convenient/accessible by providing an app, but that’s not an unsolvable issue.
      But from a privacy perspective taxis clearly have a leg up since you’re an anonymous customer.

• ono@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Off the top of my head, taxi services lack:

• Convenient hailing. A phone call works okay if you’re home, where there isn’t much noise and you speak the local language, but a web form is often much easier and less error-prone in other situations.
        • Efficient coverage. Many areas either have sparse taxi coverage, or multiple taxi companies competing in an area, and if the one you call doesn’t have enough drivers available and nearby, you’re stuck waiting unreasonably long even if there are other ride options with better availability.
        • Up-front journey-specific prices. We now have the technology to see what the total cost will be before we commit to a ride. We should be using it.
        • A single point of hailing, where I can submit my location and destination, and be presented with my ride options from all the available providers.
        • Accurate pick-up and drop-off time estimates. Even better with real-time taxi location.
        • Quick arrival.
        • Automated ride-sharing coordination among strangers.
        • Fuel efficiency incentives. Most taxis I’ve taken have been heavy vehicles that guzzle petrol, passing the expense on to the environment and the customer.

I think most (maybe all) of this could be solved by something like a clearinghouse for taxi rides, effectively federating the various taxi services in an area, with a web app for requests.

• Kyoyeou (Ki jəʊ juː)@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Sorry I should have clarified.

I want to legally buy my movie paying it to the creators, and be able do do whatever I want with my copy with me knowing I bought it just for buying it and being allowed to Own it without it being a DVD, because I don’t want DVDs, because I live in 16m² and I move way to often, while keeping the concept of buying it

• wincing_nucleus073@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

just torrent everything. it’s so damn convenient and easy nowadays. if they dont wanna give you an easy way to buy and keep their movies, fuck em.

• Gooey0210@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Buy online and webrip? 🤔

But I wouldn’t buy anything anyway (and also, who is using DVDs these days? 🫥)

• rodbiren@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Something that produces a wealth of plausible web traffic on my connection and browser that woefully misleads anyone monitoring it as to what I actually am browsing. Rather than hiding my traffic or ensuring some hyper level of encryption I simply want to use maybe an LLM or something to create such a close facimilie to “normal” online traffic that my online fingerprint becomes useless as sub 5% of my traffic is actually real.

Essentially I want privacy through drowning out everything with noise. It seems like the harder the to unwind in the end if done in a clever way. That plus some basic security protections and I will feel fairly secure.

• James Kirk@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

That’s the premise behind AdNauseam, albeit only for ads and not general navigation: It clicks all the ads in the background, so the data won’t ever target the real you.

• HeartyBeast@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

A version of WhatsApp that doesn’t require full access to all your contacts to work properly. I have about 10 people I need to Whatapp with - I just want to add those people. Meta doesn’t need to know my Doctor’s phone number.

• Extras@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Not sure if its useful to you but grapheneos has contact scopes that lets you choose which contacts an application has access to.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

You can’t do that because its proprietary software. Also meta makes money from data so it makes sense they would want to analyze your contacts

• Infinite@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Not sure if this counts, but a simple FOSS BIOS/UEFI option that could be installed on most desktops and laptops. The current options (Libreboot, coreboot) are very limited in compatible hardware.

• rebul@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

I would like a browser addon that drops poisoned data when surfing the web. Instead of trying to restrict how much of my data gets collected, spread useless data across their sites.

• sqgl@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

https://adnauseam.io/

As the collected data gathered shows an omnivorous click-stream, user tracking, targeting and surveillance become futile

I don’t get it though. The “listeners” could detect this and subtract 1 click from everything in the page. I guess that would only happen once ad nauseum gets popular.

• sqgl@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Subtract all of them. That gives zero clicks except for the ones you manually clicked.

• hitmyspot@aussie.zone
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

The trackers can’t tell which are manual clicks and which come from the plugin. That’s the idea. It obfuscates your tracking by random clicks you don’t see. It costs them data and makes tracking you worthless.

• sqgl@beehaw.org
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Maybe I misunderstood but it seems the plugin clicks all the buttons… every one… once.

So if the website notices that it can “unclick” everything exactly once.

Therefore only the manual clicks will survive because that button was clicked twice: once manually, and once automatically.

• hitmyspot@aussie.zone
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 months ago

I think there is a setting to how often it clicks. From rare, 10%, to all, 100%. I understand what you’re saying about it now. I didn’t realise the option for all was there. I thought it was more random.