• badmemes@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Or do the same stuff on an EU-wide level? I bet there are a lot of other cities that could use her kind of changes.

• Anekdoteles@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Problem is, that cities are politically gerry-mandered into entitities with SFH developed areas and countrysides. That’s why we don’t see urbanism as the powerful political force that it could and should be.

• TwoCubed@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Don’t the SUVs in Berlin get stolen within a couple of days anyway?

Edit: my brother who lives in Berlin got himself an SUV (Kia Sportage) and whenever he found a parking spot near his home, he’d leave it there for weeks because he was so happy to park near home. His car got stolen. Now he takes the U-Bahn to work and he’s actually happier than before. He got his money back for the stolen car, so there’s that.

• V0uges@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Well send her with great pleasure, wherever you want and don’t feel as you need to ship her back. Just ensure that for once she pushes for policies that aren’t just intended to punish the people who live outside of her city while she maintains the status quo for her people and lets them do whatever they want.

• mariusz@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

“The move will not apply to Paris residents’ parking.” 🤡

• V0uges@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

As usual. I work in Paris but decided to move way out of the city. Technically still Paris metro but it’s plain countryside, small villages, forest and all. Most people here drive regular cars. Farmers and people who work in the forest or manual jobs now tend to use Asian style pick-ups. But when I exit the subway on the days I’m at the office, I’m suddenly surrounded by people who live in Paris and barely exit it (the surburbs, can you imagine the infamy and the poverty?) who drive massive Land Rovers which have never ever seen mud since they were built. They just want to ensure that people from the suburb don’t go inside the city limits, and if they do that it’ll only those with pockets full of cash.

As usual, Hidalgo is full of shit.

• frostbiker@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Hey, hey! That’s an unfair take. They also kill adults, seniors in particular.

• Jake Farm@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Yeah but the public doesn’t pearl clutch like they do when they “think of the children”.

• frostbiker@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

No, it’s because they are particularly dangerous to children.

If you peruse statistics of pedestrian deaths, you will find both children and seniors are the most frequent victims. Look it up.

• golli@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I think the point might be that SUVs due to their height have worse blind spots e.g. in front of the hood, which would probably impact children more.

So this particular characteristic would endanger children more than adults and seniors who are taller.

• filister@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Yes, they are U Huge, usually occupies a lot more space, weigh more, are worse for the environment, the roads, pretty much everything and are a sigh how wasteful and oblivious of its impact the humanity became

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Misleading headline.

It also applies to electric vehicles over 2000kg, which is pretty much most of them.

London’s ULEZ scheme is better than this.

• schlump@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

While it’s true that this is not only about cutting air pollution, there are many EVs that under 2000kg

• afrom@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

They allowed the US SUV and pickup fashion to swap over to Europe (20 years ago there was little to none of those on European roads) so that when people are buying them, they get punished for doing so!? My point is, why the majority is acting like it is only the ordinary people’s fault?

• albert180@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

If you buy a more expensive car that just consumes a lot more fuel and space without any benefit you shouldn’t complain about paying more or policy measures to minimise that

• afrom@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

In that case you pay much higher taxes already …at least in my country

• afrom@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

A lot higher, double, triple or ever more. Depends on the CO2 emissions of the particular vehicle so bigger engine, more power, more weight, less aerodynamics, higher consumption means higher taxes. This is of course for combustion vehicles …don’t know about the EVs, never owned one

“If you buy a more expensive car …”

Oh and by the way, the vehicles price has nothing to do with emissions and so on.

• albert180@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

SUVs are usually more expensive than a car the same size in a non-SUV-Version.

The SUV Version of a vehicle of the same size is usually more expensive.

Just curious, from which country are you from. And what’s the average price for vehicle tax?

• afrom@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                7 months ago

I’m from Romania but I actually have business in Germany so I’m resident in both countries. It’s pretty much the same for both, just a bit lower for RO. For example a 1.2L vehicle with about 80hp is something like ~90€ but a 2L vehicle with 300hp will be ~250€ and a 4L vehicle with 600hp will cost ~620€ so it’s ramping up a lot.

Of course you are right, an SUV is usually more expensive. I don’t care to much about SUVs because I don’t like them, I don’t like the looks.

• Schmuppes@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  7 months ago

In Germany, you pay your taxes per 100 cc of displacement and emisssions. It has always been that way, but it changes very little in your overall cost calculation. I drive an older VW Golf with a 1.4 petrol engine. That costs 94 € per year in taxes. Considering insurance, running costs and purchase of the vehicle, that’s almost nothing.

What I mean is: Having a big engine isn’t a lot more expensive over here. The tax laws are not based on fuel economy or vehicle weight or size. I could have a car with a 3 Liter engine that weighs twice as much as my Golf, and I wouldn’t care if I wanted that fabulous SUV experience.

• Domi@lemmy.secnd.me
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

why the majority is acting like it is the ordinary people’s fault?

Because it is. The market produces what consumers buy.

If nobody buys SUVs, nobody produces SUVs. It’s 100% on the consumer in the EU, there’s enough other cars available.

• afrom@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Partly correct …market produces what consumers buy but here was no such things like SUVs and pickups so they needed to introduce them so ppl can buy. It’s basically marketing 1st. Marketing has a huge influence

• ElmarsonTheThird@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

They didn’t need to introduce them, they saw the opportunity to do so. Besides, there’s always been the possibility to buy a utilitarian pick up truck but they’re work vehicles.

It’s just supply and demand. Someone offers SUVs and Trucks, people buy them all, other companies offer more of the same. So of course, everyone who wanted to buy one made the concious decision to do so. The consumers are, in fact, responsible for their actions.

Guess why there are so few station wagons in the US now, as opposed to the 1980s. People wanted bigger cars and the market phased out the more sensible, but less desired option.

• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

There is no fault. No punishment. Just choices. And other people’s choices.

• afrom@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Of course that was meant figuratively, I thought that was clear

• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

Obviously.

Your choice of metaphors however clearly implies you see yourself as a victim, or at the very least a wronged party. I wanted to forcefully push back against that framing.

• afrom@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

No I don’t see myself as a victim. Never owned an SUV and most likely never will because I don’t like them and also I don’t live in France so it’s pointless however.

I wanted to forcefully push back against that framing

By doing so you do demonstrate that you allowed yourself to be instrumentalized. Maybe one day you guys will understand but of course that’s up to you.

• afrom@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 months ago

Nothing my friend …give everything you earn (if you do) to the govt. Have a good life without cars and flights. All is up to you, life is short.

• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  7 months ago

give everything you earn (if you do) to the govt

First of all, we’re talking about parking fees in Paris. They are very very high, but not quite that expensive.

Second, you need to have some cash left over for the Illuminati, the NWO and the world economic forum man.