Is this a common knowledge? Is this an old feature? I accidentally found about it few days ago.

• Rose Thorne@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Wait, didn’t spacebar pause the video for awhile? I haven’t used desktop YouTube in a hot minute, so I might be completely misremembering or conflating it with a VLC hotkey.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

This is awesome! I’m often trying to reassemble old guns I get on the cheap to refurbish, and being mechanically challenged, I need to speed through the bits I don’t need and go over and over the fine details. Be helpful for the same reason when working on my car.

• JokeDeity@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I have several JavaScript commands in a bookmark folder that speed up videos and I’ve noticed that almost every video is better at 1.1x speed (I have like a dozen different speeds for slower and faster set up), like it sounds normal. I’m convinced that all the people putting out 20+ minute videos are slowing them down ever so slightly to make them longer. Pair this with Sponsorblock and you can cut huge amounts of pointless time out of videos.

• WistfulOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Yeah, scrolling over video speed icon is really nice.

• CrayonRosary@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Same with the Android app. It used to let you swipe left and right to move backward and forward in the video, but now it just does the 2x speed thing.