Explanation: Germans used to (apparently only in my bubble) call cellphones “Handy” and many people still do that. My friends from america found that quite hilarious.

• klingelstreich@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I also do that but I think „Handy“ is still the most common term. When there is any need for clarification for what you mean by „phone“, „handy“ will clear it up for everyone.

• GigglyBobble@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Definitely still the most widely used word. I guess it is changing because the younger generations speak better English in general and prefer using correct words.

• Netto Hikari@social.fossware.spaceOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

I feel that mostly older folks still use the term? Maybe it’s just my friends and I. Ever since I realized what it means in english-speaking countries, I stopped saying it.

Maybe, I’m wrong. But again, I rarely hear the term “Handy” any more.

• Lumidaub@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

Ever since I realized what it means in english-speaking countries, I stopped saying it.

Why? Why would it matter what a word means if interpreted via another language? I mean, you go ahead and do what you want, I don’t care, but I’d like to understand the reasoning behind that.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

Because I use english during most of the day. Many of my friends are from abroad and only speak english. I consume a lot of content in english, etc.

And in German, I’d even prefer Mobiltelefon over Handy. Ever since I know that “Handy” could be interpreted as “Handjob” in the US, it feels really stupid to use this word. To me, the word now feels like a “boomer invention” and even though it’s in the Duden, I don’t consider it to be correct any more. At least for my own language. There are several words in the German and English languages that fit better.

I don’t understand why it’d be hard to understand that.

• Lumidaub@feddit.de
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 year ago

It’s not “hard to understand”, I was just interested in your reasons because I thought it was curious. I still don’t agree that it’s a big deal - I also consume mostly English-language media and most of my communication online is in English but I’m still typing this on my Handybildschirm. But you do you.

Sent from my Handy.

• marron12@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

FWIW, “handy” in the sense of “handjob” isn’t that common (U.S., over 25). I mostly hear it and use it in the sense of “useful, good to have or know.” That’s pretty handy, that could come in handy.

Plus, I can’t imagine I would ever interpret Handy as a handjob if you pronounced it the German way (Hendy). I would just go “huh” because that doesn’t register as a word in English. I’ve been told that the vowels in the German Handy and the English handy sound really similar to native German speakers. But as a native English speaker, they’re worlds apart.

Not trying to change your mind or anything. Just thought I’d give you a different perspective.

• geissi@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          Deutsch
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

phone

You mean, your German peers literally use the English word ‘phone’ or do they say ‘Telefon’?

• shortwizard@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

would you use the german equivalent of the work handy or the actual english word handy? and if so whats that word, could you use it in a sentence lol

• Johanno@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Well you have basically three options in my bubble.

1. Handy

2. Wischkästla (translates roughly to swipe box)

3. Mobiltelefon (mobile phone) this one needs to be pronounced very precisely in order to get the sarkasm of using the old correct German word.

• Holzkohlen@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Weird. Everyone I know calls it Handy. I do not think that is ever going to change.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Maybe. Again, most people (except old people) in my friends circle has stopped calling it like that. Why? I don’t know. But I definitely noticed it.

• sci@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The term ‘Handy’ for mobile phones started to become common around 1992. There are various different theories about the origin of the term but none of them has been conclusively proven.

1. In WW2 Motorola produced a Handie-Talkie (SCR-536) that could actually be hold in your hand (the famous Walkie-Talkie was strapped to your back). There have been plenty of successors with the same name but researchers doubt that this was really that widely known at the beginning of the 90s. Yet, one of the first GSM phones by Loewe was subsequently named HandyTel 100.

2. German-speaking CB radio circles used the term already before 1992 for hand-held transceivers. There are actually magazines and other things from as early as 1986 where the term is used.

It must have spilled over from these circles to maybe a marketing department (Telekom claims it was theirs, without prove though) to public consciousness.

• dabnpits@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My parents recently got a hummingbird feeder and my dad was bragging about how many “Hummers” he was getting in the yard.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I have a bro in the US @Zengen@social.fossware.space. He visited me a couple times in Germany (even for my wedding) and I visited him in the US two times. Last time with my wife and my kids, in April. When we explained to his family what a Handy is in Germany, they all laughed and this is what ultimately led me to the creation of this meme.

Also, he and I frequently make jokes about it.

• Ddhuud@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Duolingo says it’s handy, and I have no reasons to doubt my green master

Er… I mean teacher!

• rob64@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reminds me of my first day studying abroad in Germany and trying to ask a random guy at the train station to borrow his lighter.

Me, miming lighting a cigarette: “Wie sagt man—” Him: “Man sagt FEUER!”

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I already noticed that Duolingo isn’t very good for learning languages after taking a glance at it’s Japanese course. I need to take a look at the German one, as well.

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s not that bad. The problem is that as you reach the later stages it often wants one particular (sometimes incorrect) answer, when multiple alternatives are correct or better.

So, for example, I’m a dutch native speaker, and sailed through the duolingo course until the later stages. Then it gets pretty bad and I got bored of trying to complete it.

Use duolingo for the basic stuff, but it’s not the same as a language course.

• sabreW4K3@lemmy.tf
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Oh that’s interesting. Do you mind sharing why you scorn the Japanese course? It was my initial course and then I switched to German and have been doing it for a couple of years

• Lumidaub@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Duolingo in general isn’t very good for learning a language. Their approach doesn’t work because what explanation there is is sparse and not in depth enough. They expect the user to recognise patterns on their own but that frequently causes people to see patterns that aren’t there and to misunderstand grammar points. It might be an okay-ish tool to practice what you already know.

If you were successful with Duolingo, congrats, you were lucky.

• sabreW4K3@lemmy.tf
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Duolingo leans very heavily into memory based learning. I would love to see us do away with this model, but it’s what they do in schools.

That said, I have basic reading and writing comprehension after two years, so it’s not all bad. I still believe a toddler would best me though.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Listen, guys. I lived in Germany for my entire life and even though I know that “Handy” is common, I’m trying to say that I personally don’t hear it nearly as often as I used to a couple years ago.