• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Whatever definition you want.

Except your control-less astrology report test, because that was certainly not science.

• agamemnonymous@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Never said it was, only said that the existence of non-vague horoscope was a counter-example against your sweepingly certain statement that all horoscopes are vague.

Don’t think I haven’t noticed that every time I raise a valid point, you ignore it and try to pivot to a different one.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

And what proof do you have that it was non vague? Did you do a double blind control with a horoscope made for you, and some random ones made for other people, and determine if you could accurately pick out which one was yours?

So no, your point is not valid because you did not have a control. Without controls to your “experiment” the results are entirely meaningless.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I did, actually. I’ve never believed in astrology, and I have generally been of the belief that they are just vague as you’ve said. So when it was insisted I do a full chart, that was part of my conditions. They were all fairly non-vague, their predictions were specific and excluded common personality aspects.

The one I chose as closest to my personality description was did in fact correspond to my actual chart.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you’re lying now, because you would have brought that up ages ago if that was the case.

And in a proper study that was done, that I linked you to, found that with a group of 50 people they were no better able to pick their actual astrology report than random chance. So no, you are still full of shit.

What actual science have you done?

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

Because you would have said I was lying then too, and it wasn’t relevant. Because my position wasn’t that astrology is accurate. My position was that not every horoscope is vague enough to apply to anyone.

Have you considered that the differences in horoscope generation? Did the study control from different astrologers, difference in methods, difference in detail?

None of which is relevant, because, again, my statement wasn’t that astrology is accurate. My statement was that not every horoscope is vague enough to apply to anyone. If there exists one single horoscope which excludes one single person, the statement “All horoscopes are vague enough to apply to anyone” is false. This is basic logic, you should’ve covered this in undergrad.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

Nope, you’re just a liar. Only after I told you how to properly do a double blind experiment did you say that’s what you did.

Fuck off liar.

And go read the paper. The people couldn’t tell a real astrology report from a random computer generated one. If astrology reports were so accurate the people could pick out out from an obviously fake one, but they could not.