• @rho50@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      175 months ago

Zsh is a nice balance of modern features and backwards compatibility with bash.

• The Doctor
      link
      fedilink
      English
      65 months ago

A lot of folks don’t know that you can do this. They just stick with the default install for whatever distro they’re using. Articles like this aren’t really for seasoned users, they’re for relative newbies who didn’t know.

• Treczoks
    link
    fedilink
    285 months ago

The article just describes the how, but gives no reasons for a why.

So, why would anyone move away from the de-facto standard bash, except for some rare circumstances like having a small system and using busybox?

• @dino
      link
      English
      225 months ago

You probably never used fish shell.

• @TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        315 months ago

Yeah, and I suspect most reading the article haven’t either, so the above guy’s question stands - what’s wrong with Bash in comparison to the others?

• BaroqueInMind
          link
          fedilink
          45 months ago

I don’t use anything other than BASH, but I hear that ZSH has command tab-completion (not just directory tab-autocomplete) similar to PowerShell and also some other cool shit I’m not really bothered to check out since bash is the GOAT.

• Kogasa
          link
          fedilink
          35 months ago

Nothing wrong with it, it’s just boring. Fish shell has some new features that make it nice to use. So does zsh. Tab completions, history navigation, plugins and such.

• trevor
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15 months ago

Fish is actually user friendly and easy to learn. The interactive completions are better than any other shell and are something I don’t want to live without.

It differs from bash in some esoteric ways, but any issues you might encounter as a result are easily worked around by putting shebangs in your scrips, which you should be doing anyway, and bash -c 'your command'.

Honorable mention for nushell, but that one differs from bash a little too much to pick up quickly. However, having an object-oriented shell is pretty sick.

• @SpaceCadet@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      15 months ago

Because you’re bored. It says so right in the title.

Personally I don’t see the point of changing the shell either. Bash is more than good enough for my use and any other shell is going to have the disadvantage of not being the ubiquitous standard so it is always going to have an uphill battle to dislodge bash.

That said, if people want to play around with a new shell just for the sake of it, why not? I like to play around with exotic window managers myself, not because my regular plasma desktop doesn’t suffice, but because I like to try something different every now and then.

• Treczoks
        link
        fedilink
        15 months ago

I don’t think that “being bored with a shell” ever was a thing. I changed shells in my life several times (I started way before Linux on sh), but with no change, the reason was “boredom”.

• BudgieMania
    link
    fedilink
    215 months ago

Bored with driving your car with a wheel and pedals? Change the default handling device in your vehicle

• @Dr_Willis@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    105 months ago

tip: don’t install fish or whatever, change your default shell, THEN uninstall fish because you don’t like it.

Change your default shell back first.

I have seen way too many support posts where people paint their self I to a corner doing that.

or just don’t change the default shell.

run fish as needed, then exit back to bash when done.

I have

• ffhein
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

It looks pretty, but IMO one of the selling points of zsh is that it allows async updating of the prompt, allowing you to use slow commands like “git status” without adding a delay every time the prompt needs to be printed.

E.g. the default prompt from prezto is quite light and responsive, but when inside a git repo adds the info on the right side (shows when you have commits ahead/behind the remote branch, stashes, modified/deleted/added/staged files, etc) when that becomes available.

Didn’t look like any of the example themes on ohmyposh.dev had the $RPROMPT stuff, which I guess would be difficult support for a cross-shell theming engine.

• @juli@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    55 months ago

Nice. But I want to change the default terminal in gnome but gnome-files doesn’t respect my choice. …

• crank
    link
    fedilink
    English
    45 months ago

Ive been using zsh for most of my linux time cause it is trendy.

Im actually planning a move to bash. All else being equal, i prefer gpl-style to mit-style. (Tried fish didnt like it.)

Dyk the “monopoly man” illustration was created by the grandparent of the original developer of bash? And was uncredited by the company who owns Monopoly until a relative publicized this recently.

• @Hundun@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      35 months ago

I am in the process of learning about/choosing shells for my new setup. Can you please elaborate on gpl-vs-mit style - what do you mean? Is it just about licences?

• crank
        link
        fedilink
        English
        15 months ago

yes it is just about the license. i think gpl is better for humanity.

i don’t have a better argument than that. i guess i am just turning into that kind of person lol

• @chaorace@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15 months ago

More importantly: did you know the “monopoly man” does not in fact wear a monocle? We live in trying times.

• @stepanzak@iusearchlinux.fyi
    link
    fedilink
    15 months ago

I get why many of you don’t like the title. But for me personally, having a comfy shell with useful info in the prompt, good completions, auto closing brackets, syntax highlighting, and so on is very important. Not that I can’t use vanilla bash (and there’s a reason why I leave it as root’s shell), but well set up shell can make a big difference when doing more advanced things in the terminal. And for a new user, this may be even more important. I configured zsh, but I think it’s great that new users can just install Fish and have those features.

• @nia_the_cat@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I like to use fish but I don’t set it as default shell because that can cause issues with scripts and a few other issues (or at least, that’s what I’ve heard), some terminal apps you can set up profiles for and set the default shell that just the terminal app opens as to another shell, but leaves the system default as bash, getting the best of both worlds.

As for reasons I use fish if anyone’s interested, I don’t live in the command line much and I like that fish has a transparent sort of autocomplete as you’re typing to see what it would add if you pressed tab, and I like the colors it has, it’s more interactive and hand-holding, which is exactly what I want with my terminal for the times I have to go into it.

• @TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      115 months ago

I don’t see the clickbait. The title references how to change the shell, the article then shows exactly that.

I think you’re using clickbait as a meaningless buzzword for something you don’t like, rather than its actual meaning.

• @Ftt7@futurology.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -185 months ago

No one gets “bored” with a fucking shell. This is just cheap clickbait instead of adding a bland title.

• palordrolap
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Would you mind explaining the meaning of your second-to-last word there? I want to make sure you’re saying what I think you’re saying.