“I’m up for it.”

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

“I get knocked down! But I get up again! And you’re never gonna keep me down!”

• Wolf Link 🐺@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

On the other hand, “knocked down” and “knocked up” have drastically different meanings, which is a little confusing for foreigners sometimes. =P

• The Pantser@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Pissing the night away is also a double entendre, meaning wasting time or literally pissing all night from drinking.

• RustyNova@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

As a non native speaker, this messed me up for years

I always heard about “being up” for something, so I logically assumed that being down meant the inverse. Even more that “feeling down” usually means not being able to do things.

• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

In the game of hell let loose you’re constantly trying to build Garrison’s for your team to spawn on, and destroy Garrison’s so your enemy can’t spawn.

Highly ambiguous

Garrison down on the point!

Does this mean a friendly Garrison was just built? Does this mean the enemy Garrison was just destroyed? Who knows! Why not both?

Schrödinger’s Garrison

• 4am@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

It makes a little more sense with the context that “I’m down” is shortened slang for “I’ll throw down on that”, itself slang for “I will get in on this situation” (as in “throwing down” some money or chips when gambling)

• VeryNiiiice@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I thought it is short for “I am putting myself down for that” or “put me down for that”. As in, putting yourself down on a list for attending an event.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

… Tricks are for kids he plays much gigs

He’s the big bad wolf and you’re the three pigs

He’s the big bad wolf in your neighborhood

Not bad meaning bad, but bad meaning good

Run DMC

• MacN'Cheezus@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

More recently, the difference between good and bad is in the presence or absence of the word “the” before “shit”.

• BlanketsWithSmallpox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Flammable. Inflammable. Famous. Infamous. So many dumb prefixes that make no sense.

There really needs to be more language revisions every couple decades to get rid of stupid shit or revise letters, words, and spellings to be more in tune with their phonetic pronunciations.

• BlanketsWithSmallpox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

C / K / S. Remove X. Change letter names to match their sounds.

A / ugh / Ayyy.

B = Buh

C = Removed?

D - Dih

E - same?

Etc. etc. there’s better linguists than an old school Grammar Nazi turned Language Darwinist.

• Legolution@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

They aren’t dumb, peoples’ usage is just poorly informed and incorrect.

Famous/infamous are not synonyms, so you shouldn’t be using them interchangeably. Infamous specifically means “Famous for the wrong [read negative] reasons”. Like a serial killer. Or somebody who is famous for knocking over and breaking a priceless work of art.

If something is flammable, it can be set on fire. Like wood, or paper. If something is inflammable, that’s still true, but it has the additional property of being able to spontaneously combust, without being actively set alight. Like oils, or unstable chemicals, or some explosive material.

These are levels of nuance which are actually really useful, if handled correctly. The fundamental rule appears to be that in an “in…” word, the prefix gives specific detail about how the object holds the properties of the suffix.

• LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

The first time somebody told me he was down I had to pause and wonder what he meant. Did he mean he was sad? Did he mean he didn’t want to do the thing?