Sony’s New Technology Would Adapt Game Difficulty to a Player’s Skill Level::Sony’s New Technology Would Adapt Game Difficulty to a Player’s Skill Level: The company filed a patent for the skill-based algorithm.

• ben@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Maybe the article is being vague but stuff like this really doesn’t seem like it should be patented. Especially considering I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this done in games before. The simplest being Mario games giving you invincibility in a level after you die a set amount of times. Or I think A Hat in Time would shorten certain boss battle segments after you completed them already.

The implementation here would need to be really new and impressive to justify this being a patent. And I’m guessing it won’t be, assuming they ever actually do something with it.

• DragonOracleIX@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

There are examples of subtle difficulty shifts too, such as RE4. The game will spawn more/less enemies and change drop rates based on player performance.

• pastaPersona@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Reminds me of some other cool game mechanics that have been patented/copyrighted leading to games as a whole losing out on fantastic ideas. The nemesis system from the Shadow of Mordor games / loading screen minigames come to mind.

• kromem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

They will have a very difficult time with prior art, especially given there’s been literal articles about L4D’s dynamic difficulty adjustments to pace the game with the ‘director.’

There’s a number of games with dynamic difficulty adjustments, so the scope for this to be successfully defended would need to be quite narrow.

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Or even more in your face directly from nintendo: in mario kart (like all of them) you get a banana or green shell if you’re in 1st and things like blue shells and flying chain chomps if you’re in last. The worse you do, the better your items get.

• DrPop@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I thought systems like this already exist in some games? Adaptive difficulty which is a thing most people won’t notice. Speedruns of games that implement this system even do actions to counter this for speed and ease of gameplay.

• omega_x3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Looking forward to new speedrun strats of jumping to your death ten times to save 10 seconds killing the final boss.

• LouNeko@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I wonder how this will affect throphies and achievements. Imagine a conversation where one guy says “Man getting this throphy was so hard, I had to fight a boss and his 5 goons that kept healing themselves and I burned through all my powerups and barely made it” and the other guy is like “I only had to fight the boss and 2 goons and they never healed, I didn’t even know there were powerups.” The first guy is going to be like “YOU WHAT?”

• T4UTV1S@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I think if this is implemented properly, both players should be acting like the trophy was a challenge to get, even rating it the same difficulty.

I’m imagining in game like Hollow Knight, boss fights have movesets, and given your internal difficulty score’, harder/more varied movesets can be used.

It would be beneficial for people who don’t have much experience with platformers/fighting games, and gives experienced players a challenge.