• herrherrmann@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Nice, Ubuntu LTS (22.04) seems to fully work out of the box. Although I’d have expected more distros to work like that (even the officially-supported Fedora needs some extra steps to get everything running and its stability is described as “some risk”).

• reddOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Not yet fully since fingerprint is not supported in all variants.

Also with the “stability” topic. This can mean everthing from hibernation issues to power management.

I think Framework knows exactly why they don’t offer preinstalled Linux yet.

• linuxdweeb@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

its stability is described as “some risk”)

I wonder if that just means that Fedora is (almost-but-not-quite) rolling release, and thus is inherently riskier if you need stability? That’s how I interpreted it, but if it’s referring to some kind of Framework-specific issues, then that’s concerning.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I’ll say it again: I want to buy one of these. They’re awesome (from what I’ve seen). It’d be my Linux laptop. But I’m a Mac guy and after the novelty wore off, it’d go unused. Still, if Apple fucks up their OS enough, this will be my escape hatch.

• Corgana@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

You might want to experiment with Ubuntu some day. It can be installed to a Mac if you have one lying around, and the default Ubuntu experience is surprisingly Mac-like.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I have spare computer hardware and I’ve installed Ubuntu, Fedora, and Asahi. I like them. Not enough to switch, but maybe if Apple keeps letting their software decline.

• d-RLY?@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Just really really bad at being able to fix or upgrade said hardware for literally no reason (aside from money of course). Which is a shame since yes physically nice the hardware is in plenty of ways.

• Chemical Wonka
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Unfortunately they don’t have a version with Coreboot

• jackpot@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

i hope we get an update soon. if we get coreboot AND a removal of intel ME or amd PSP theres nothing i can think of holding it back.

• BotCheese@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

iirc there was a different thread about intel me where someone mentioned it being baked into the silicon

• zarkony@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

It is, but as far as I understand, you can disable some of it depending on your coreboot/libreboot setup.

Coreboot is open source, but when you build the rom for your machine, you have to pack in closed source blobs for Intel me, and any other proprietary parts of the chip.

I’m not up to date on current happenings with libreboot, but the goal there was to get it working 100% open source, without closed source blobs.

• chayleaf@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

LibreBoot doesn’t have that goal anymore, it now strives to be as blobless as possible. GNUBoot (edit: or CanoeBoot) is what LibreBoot used to be

• ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

There are tradeoffs between different distributions, especially if you’re on the latest hardware. Some distributions like Fedora have aggressive kernel update policies, which means you’ll have the latest driver optimizations, but also greater risk that an update can cause regressions. Other distributions like Ubuntu LTS have more conservative update policies, and are more likely to remain stable as you perform updates.

That’s just Fedora, I’ve had to go back to the previous kernel already once or twice before and wait for the next update (one or two days later) to update after they fix it. Thanks to Snapper it’s no problem.

• cyberic
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Pop_OS also worked for me OOTB (11th Gen Intel)

• linuxdweeb@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I love my Thinkpad (X1 Yoga) and have been a Thinkpad addict for a long time. These frameworks look really good on paper and seem to be doing everything right, but I’m too scared to leave the warm embrace of the red nipple.

• Rupert Reynolds@hachyderm.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

@redd Fedora 39 here on an Intel FW13. It’s my first Linux-only hardware and I only run Windoze (in a Boxes VM) for one application.

No regrets.

Minor niggles only, one of them probably caused by me being hasty. It has never failed to do my usual (edit/compile/debug)

I never got VMware networking right (possibly due to lack of experience with VMware), so I stick with Boxes.

And I installed Win10 on a spare SSD, just to set up the fingerprint sensor. I’ve not booted that SSD since then.

• PerogiBoi@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I keep getting issues. When waking from sleep the screen flickers white and needs a restart.

GNOME extensions seem to cause issues when trying to log in and freezes indefinitely or loops back to the login screen. This problem is so intermittent. It sometimes takes me 3 restarts until I’m able to log in without freezing. Other times, it logs in but all extensions are disabled.

It’s been a big headache so far for me.

• Corgana@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I did get occasional flickering with Wayland but switched to X11 and have been fine since. Did not get any of that other stuff you mentioned! Have several GNOME extensions enabled too.

• reddOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

At least it seems like they update this page regularly.

• baseless_discourse@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I think this is there pretty early, if not at their beginning. They seems to be incredibly invested in the linux user base, which makes them one of the most popular linux laptops.

• XTL@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I would absolutely have got one this year, but they don’t sell to Finland. I probably don’t need a new laptop for a good while, but I still hope these will keep building up and getting more common.