link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Broke: Germany started WW2 with the invasion of Poland

Woke: Japan started WW2 with the invasion of China

Ascended: Soviet Union started WW2 by invading Poland 2 weeks after the Germans

• cayde6ml@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t like to refer to military initiatives of the USSR to be invasions. I think it cedes ground to capitalists and falsely equivocates. The correct term is liberate.

• ComradeSalad@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Its still an invasion by definition. What the intentions of the assaulting army are don’t matter in regard to whether a military undertaking is an invasion or not.

We can’t just pick and choose good sounding names and assume that changes reality, or that by adhering to a definition that that somehow cedes ground.

Invasion: A military offensive in which large numbers of combatants of one geopolitical entity enter territory owned by another such entity, generally with the objective of either: conquering; liberating or re-establishing control or authority over a territory, forcing the partition of a country; altering the established government or gaining concessions from said government; or a combination thereof.

• ComradeSalad@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I understand, but we reach a point where that is simply not our problem anymore. We cannot try and make every little detail adhere to their worldview.

If they make the equivalence, then so be it.