I saw this post and wanted to ask the opposite. What are some items that really aren’t worth paying the expensive version for? Preferably more extreme or unexpected examples.

• IgnisAvem@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I have to disagree here. Some brands of mascara (especially the cheap ones but some of the expensive too) have chemicals in that are terrible for your health in the long term. It’s been a long time since I read the research but I remember that it caused local issues like cysts in/on the eye but also global issues like hormone imbalance

Edit: I found a recent link and it looks like there’s less company’s using them than when I first learnt of this. The health issues this article mentions are birth defects, thyroid issues and cancer. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/makeup-urban-decay-cancer-linked-forever-chemicals-b2261555.html

• sunbrrnslapper@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Interesting! I wonder if the formulas differ from country to country (I’m in the US). I use ELF, which I think is free from a bunch of that stuff and super cheap. This is a good reminder to always read labels. 🙂

• OceanSoap@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Drugstore makeup is perfectly fine, if not superior. I get my makeup from CVS and Target. Works great every time.

• AquaTofana@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Right? I use a mix of drugstore and mid-range cosmetics as a makeup enthusiast. Drugstore has stepped up their game!

My favorite foundation that I keep going back to over and over again regardless of anything else I try is the $5.99 Wet N Wild Photofocus Foundation. It’s just so…perfect. I’ve had to have exceeded 10 bottles at this point.

Same with eye primer, brow pencils, eyeliner, and mascara. So much that ELF and Essence put out in these categories are so good.