Streaming service: US - Hulu, outside the US - Disney Plus

• ChamrsDeluxe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Was absolutely great. A little too much advertising for the platform we are actively watching it on, but an absolutely great return to form. Nothing felt forced and all the jokes landed well.

Loved the “scarry mirror”

• cuzit@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I mostly liked it. The joke that got me the hardest was probably the robot standup comedian.

My only complaint really was that they pulled an “oh no fry is dead but wait he’s not” again which the writers really started to like to do in like every other episode after the first reboot, so I hope this doesn’t become a running theme in every episode.

• sweeny@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I appreciated the fry dying call back, I feel like it had to have been self aware. Great reboot episode, an average Futurama episode, which is great!

• TeaHands@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Lol at people reporting this post for misinformation. Futurama season numbers have always been ill-defined and now we just have to live with it. Be thankful you’re not in the UK where the DVD ordering made it even weirder.

There is new Futurama coming out. Be less cranky and more excited!

• Smadels@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

i love how everyone was theorising about how the time skip would work and they fully gloss over it cause it doesn’t actually matter.

• ABearAttack@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I thought it was great! Maybe a few too many nods to their reboot, but they felt veiled enough to remain funny. Sounds like we might get another movie?! I’m so excited to have Futurama back!

• nudny ekscentryk@szmer.info
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

It really wasn’t bad. I liked how they recalled the tear-squishing ending of the last season and picked up immediately in the same scene. I was a bit afraid they would something like “ohhhh, somehow futurama returned. <unspecified>” and yet they went with the setup the writers left 10 years ago and it worked. I also appreciated them referencing the WGA strike, and this must have been a last-moment change, since the protest started only in May while I believe either Billy West or John Di Maggio confirmed the original voice work for the first part was done back in 2022.

I liked the meta aspect of it, it was very futurama and anyone who says its bad probably doesn’t remember or has never watched the show before. I have to say however that it felt a bit much halfway through the episode. I think this should have been a short sequence of jokes or one 5 minutes long scene at most; did not have to make an entire episode around the show rebooting after a decade. Yes, we get it: it’s funny how it got cancelled and rebooted so many times by so many different networks.

Having said that though, I honestly expected worse and have high hopes for the remaining 19 episodes.

• DeriHunter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I generally don’t like meta episodes like the jokes in the show reflects on the real cast and writers. The self awerness usually ruin it for me. R&M did it well with the train episode, but I didn’t like it too much here. Not only that, the entire advertising if Hulu was a bit much.

I mean the idea is great, they tried to tell us, the audience, that times are changed and the world have changed with all the pc, me too, gender awerness, etc. And showed even a bit of concern. Also that they laugh at themselves with all the reboots and breaks. But I just didn’t like how it was served. I wish it was an interview and not an episode (they laughed about that as well with the "that’s too smart joke) and just write an episode like the know, without being afraid of all the pc and do on.

It wasn’t bad I still enjoyed it, but as I said it felt to meta and self aware for my taste.

Any one feels the same?

• PlasticExistence@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Sorta, yeah. I also didn’t initially care much for the first episode on Comedy Central. I guess maybe the writers feel they have to do this sort of bridge episode.

I’m sure the future episodes will be better. I’m SUPER excited for Parasites Regained as Parasites Lost is my favorite episode.

• Heisenburner@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I’m starting to wonder what the fuck is going on at Hulu’s writing offices because Solar Opposites is also filled with jokes about Hulu.

• ky56@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Actually I felt the opposite. I though it was alright. Just hope that’s not the writing style they’re going to carry on with. Later episodes of Rick and Morty leaned in to “meta” style writing way too much.

I though the Hulu bit was some sort of pisstake on streaming and how TV has so massively changed since it last aired. Again if they leave it there I’ll be happy.