• WeLoveCastingSpellz@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

X11 is already dead, and it will not become more or less usable it will always stay the way it’s and wayland will get better. that’s the difference and flatpak is just an option it doesn’t try to replace what’s already availible. spreading distrust and misinformation about these softwares doesn’t help

• Victor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

X11 is already dead

How do you mean that? I’ve been using X11 for like 17 years. i3 uses X11, and I will most likely not use another WM if I can help it. It’s perfect for me. X11 is available in the core repositories of all the big distros.

Curious to know what you mean by “dead”.

• laurelraven@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Just because they don’t do full releases doesn’t mean it isn’t developed anymore. They switched to updating modules individually, with three updates made this month. Doesn’t sound very abandoned to me.

• bitwolf@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

It is not getting new features anymore. Just because the distro is packaging it doesn’t mean it’s not dead.

I heard Sway is very similar to i3. But I’m partial to hyprland myself

• bonfire921@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

I’ll say that while it still has features that Wayland doesn’t it’s not dead, it doesn’t get updates yes but it still used by a lot of people for the fact that Wayland just doesn’t support some stuff that x11 does. Great example I have is TeamViewer and Nvidia+KDE

• Victor@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

You made exactly the point I was trying to make.

I guess “dead” is a matter of definition in this case. 🙂

• bitwolf@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

While TeamViewer is definitely neglected I use it often on Wayland and it works well actually!

In the past year or so it doesn’t shut down correctly. But the core functionality works well.

I’ve been experimenting with Rustdesk as an alternative because I doubt they’ll update the Linux client anytime soon. The Windows version looks like an entirely different application at this point

In terms of feature parity. I believe the only thing left is global hotkeys, which hyprland proved it can be done.

• dai@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I love me some hyprland, it’s minimal enough to run on my 4gb ram foldable laptop with the same animations I have on my main laptop & desktop.

Wayland x Nvidia aside (on my laptop) it’s the perfect minimal environment for me.

• Victor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

I actually used Sway for a while. Can’t remember why I switched back though. What would X11 “going end-of-life” entail? Not being distributed/packaged anymore? Is there an official timeline for that or something?

• bitwolf@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Essentially they’re not doing feature work on the core codebase. I’m not sure if that’s true or not, but the packaging of it wouldn’t be up to the developers but the distro maintainers.

• Victor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I did but went back to i3 for some reason I can’t remember. I think it had something to do with DPI issues in wayland at the time, so the scaling was inconsistent between apps.

• crispy_kilt@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Probably applications incompatible with wayland running under an x11 compatibility layer which doesn’t do scaling. It should be resolved when all applications support wayland.