cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/10756719

Quoting the tl;dr in the linked article:

• Samsung could be stepping up its game by offering seven years of major Android updates for the Galaxy S24 series, and the generous update policy might extend to other Galaxy flagships.

• The Galaxy S24 series might also introduce charges for AI features like Live Translate and Pixel-like photo editing tools after 2025.

• There’s speculation that users may need to sign in to their Samsung accounts for certain AI functionalities.

• Scrubbles
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    4 months ago

literally all it would take for me to consider Samsung over the Pixel again would be:

• No Samsung bloatware

What are they paying those high priced marketing consultants? I’m pretty sure I’m cheaper.

• ImaginaryFox
      link
      fedilink
      164 months ago

Samsung s23 ultra is my first Samsung and despite having come from Pixels and Oneplus I found I actually liked the Samsung stuff like edge panel, one hand plus+ operation, and sound assistant. All the good lock additions was like getting custom rom features. Find it hard to consider a phone without something like the Spen too now, since I use it to take notes and select text.

• @variants@possumpat.io
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 months ago

For me it’s the dex mode when I connect my s22 to a monitor, I use it daily at work with a kvm so I can work on one monitor and VPN to my home vm on a second monitor with my phone, I came from a pixel 3 and the nexus 5 before that and I hope the s22 lasts me forever

• @BlazeOP
        link
        English
        24 months ago

Thank you for your feedback!

• stewie410
            link
            fedilink
            English
            34 months ago

I assume this has changed with the modern releases then? My S10 had a ton of non-removable apps, primarily those from Samsung.

There’s really only a couple of things I missed from the S10 on my P7:

• The edge panel (ended up using Panels
            • A tile to toggle ringer/vibrate/silent in the notification shade
              • I’ve gotten used to it now, but still prefer the way it’s handled in OneUI
      • @sugartits@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        84 months ago

You need two app stores, two browsers, an exceptionally annoying keyboard that has its own “privacy” policy?

• @iturnedintoanewt@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          4 months ago

That’s the thing that drove me over the wall. The KEYBOARD, of all things. Requesting access to my contacts persistently.

• HidingCat
          link
          fedilink
          04 months ago

Really love this community, so one-dimensional and not willing to accept alternate views, and can’t wait to twist words in people’s mouth to make themselves feel better intellectually superior.

Good luck in growing this community.

• @unmagical@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      44 months ago

Every time I’ve needed a new phone I’ve considered Samsung. But I just can’t buy into their extremely heavy modifications and have always opted for a clean android experience. Their hardware looks amazing and I want nothing more in a phone than a Samsung running stock.

• @BlazeOP
        link
        English
        24 months ago

If I may, what is your current phone? Finding one that fits the bill isn’t an easy task nowadays

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      24 months ago

I’m a bit torn on this. I’m not a Samsung fan by any mean, but the hardware issues with the different Pixels (reception, overheating, etc.) and the Tensor ships vs Snapdragon make me reluctant to get one.

S23 especially seems like a solid device, with better battery than S22, “compact” size and good chipset. Also not the biggest fan of supporting Google while they clearly lack vision on what they are doing with most of their products.

GrapheneOS might be an option but I would prefer not having to tinker with the OS of a several hundreds euros phone.

Seems like there is no ideal solution.

• Scrubbles
        link
        fedilink
        English
        54 months ago

Personally, I’ve had Pixels since the pixel 2 and I’ve never had an issue with them except for normal wearing out. They’ve lasted longer than any samsung phone I’ve owned (granted that was pre-pixel 2). What I liked about Pixel is that it’s pretty much stock Android, with google play stuff on it, vs samsung which I felt was overloaded with both Google stuff and Samsung stuff.

As for Google - well, remember Google has it’s hands in both systems, getting Samsung doesn’t mean you’re de-googling, Google still gets it’s cut.

Software yeah flash away, but then it’s just purely a hardware comparison.

• @SheeEttin@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          14 months ago

My last few phones have been Pixels and the only issue was my Pixel 6 having a greenish screen, but I was able to fix that with an app that altered the color temperature I think.

But a few updates later I hadn’t reenabled that app and the green was gone anyway. Google fixed it in a software update.

• @BlazeOP
            link
            English
            04 months ago

deleted by creator

• @BlazeOP
          link
          English
          14 months ago

Interesting, I read so much negative feedback about the Pixel 6 and 7 hardware that it really stuck with me. Also I’m not in the US so I wouldn’t benefit from a lot of Pixel unique features.

By the way, is it true you can’t remove the search bar from the Pixel launcher?

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/133065648/is-there-any-way-to-remove-the-google-search-bar-from-the-home-screen?hl=en

And yes, I know that buying Samsung indirectly supports Google, but it seems like a potential better deal to get a slightly better phone.

• Scrubbles
            link
            fedilink
            English
            34 months ago

I have the 7 and have never had a complaint. Got it because I accidentally ruined my last one.

Can’t move the search bar. I’ll be honest the thought had never occurred to me until you asked

• @Auli@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            04 months ago

It’s worse then that there is so much bloatware on a pixel, I’m surprised there isn’t more complaining. You can “remove” it with ADB but it doesn’t actually remove it.

• @rambaroo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -24 months ago

It’s Samsung whose phones catch fire constantly, not Google. I’m never buying a Samsung ever again. They cannot be trusted.

• @rambaroo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            34 months ago

Getting warm isn’t the same thing as catching fucking fire like my girlfriend’s Samsung did in October. They have had it happen consistently across multiple models now. Go ahead and keep shilling for them with your ridiculous whataboutisms though.

• MudMan
    link
    fedilink
    214 months ago

Is the idea to go back to having a SD card slot, dual sim and a headphone jack? No? Because that’s why my last Samsung was a S10.

Oh, well, back to my Xperia. Hang in there Sony, all seven of us left still need you even if your software all comes from one intern you keep tied to a broken PS5 in the basement.

• MudMan
        link
        fedilink
        14 months ago

Yeah, at this point they’re only making these because they don’t make any major changes and it probably has a bunch of synergies with their camera business anyway.

Between my post and yours I actually got the belated Android 14 update for my 2021 device, which is supposed to be probably the last major update it’ll get. Aaaand it’s missing the one feature I was looking forward to using.

So not great, and if anybody makes a similar set of specs on a flagship elsewhere I’ll move on to that, I have no brand loyalty at play here. But there’s literally no other option to match in the flagship space at all. Even gaming phones have started dropping some of these common sense features.

• @13617@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    54 months ago

Is it a headphone jack? What about an SD card reader. An unlockable bootloader?

Tbh I’d still rather use a Samsung s24 with snapdragon than something like a pixel with a shitynos processor

• @ninjabard@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    44 months ago

My last phone was the Note 20+ and before that the Note 10+. Recently switched to the Pixel 8 pro. I have no desire to return to Samsung.

• @unknowing8343
    link
    English
    24 months ago

Make it an S24 Mini, we’ll come from under the rocks.

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      24 months ago

With Exynos for Europe, I’m not so sure the only issue is the size

• kib48
    link
    fedilink
    English
    14 months ago

charging for AI features is not competition when Pixel gives it for free and (afaik) fully on-device lmao

• Possibly linux
    link
    fedilink
    English
    14 months ago

I like the updates as it makes custom Roms more usable. I just wish they didn’t install so much bloat and allowed you to unlock the bootloader.