• Ardor von Heersburg
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I don’t want to be too picky, but at least the eagle pictured on Germany is kind of wrong. While it is not specified which species of eagle the “Bundesadler” is, it is most definitely never depicted as a bald eagle (that would be the USA). More usuale would be a Golden eagle or a White-tailed eagle.

• PipedLinkBot@feddit.rocksB
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Here is an alternative Piped link(s):

?

Piped is a privacy-respecting open-source alternative frontend to YouTube.

I’m open-source; check me out at GitHub.

• grue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

England picks the most unimaginative, basic-bitch animal possible, so of course Scotland and Wales go in the complete opposite direction.

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

The rules didn’t specify that the animal was supposed to be real. Fictional animals are still animals, so they should be fine.

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I always find it weird when countries use animals that are not native to their country. Although in Scotland I’m pretty sure that unicorns actually exist somewhere. Or at least, they do if you drink enough.

• mtchristo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

That’s some real good shit Scotland and whales have been sniffing for centuries now.

• grue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Obligatory joke:

I was in a bar the other night and overheard three very hefty women talking. Their accent appeared to be Scottish, so I approached and asked, "Hello, ladies, are you three lassies from Scotland? One of them angrily screeched, “It’s Wales, you bloody idiot, Wales!” So I apologized and replied, “I am so sorry. Are you three whales from Scotland?”

• BenadrylChunderHatch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

If you go back far enough there were now extinct lions in northern Europe as well. But wild lions as we know them today existed in Greece, the Balkans, etc. Even as late as the 10th century CE.

• ForgotAboutDre@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Unicorns are notably ferocious animals. Their recent association with little girls has done significant harm to their reputation.

• ThatFembyWho@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Back in the days when unicorns were unicorns, and girls were girls.

And unicorns would probably do totally sick shit like carry off little girls and eat their livers.

Simpler times.

• Ephera@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Greece does make sense with how much of their country is near the coast…

• addie@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Team unicorn, represent! I’d swear half the entrance doorways to our historic buildings have the lion and the unicorn carved above, and everyone still seems surprised by the “Scotland’s national animal is a what now?” response.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

There’s one “national animal” and then there’s national horse, insect, fish, bird, butterfly and one that wasn’t on your list, national dog. So that’d be seven. Get on our level, other countries!

How could they leave out this good boy from hte list

Finnish spitz

• interolivary@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

True! For all you non-Nordics, that’s a Finnish Spitz and they’re certified good boyes. My personal favorite is the Finnish Lapphund because they’re so incredibly floofy, and it’s an interesting breed because it was originally bred by the Sámi for herding reindeer: