• silver13@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Constant whining is basically a national sport in Germany. Yes, there are way too many poor and homeless people here too, but the ones crying the loudest are mostly middle class people who are financially secure. Its either that their neighbour has a bigger car or they blame society that no one likes them.

• Ethalis@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m surprised at France being so close to EU average. Being constantly dissatisfied is basically our point of national pride

• rentar42@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It feels like many countries claim that as a national sport. In Austria “sudern” (i.e. complaining but not actually doing anything about it) is considered a time-honored tradition, and yet according to this we are among the most satisfied.

• sab@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I guess the French are happy that Macron has given them enough things to be dissatisfied about.

• misk@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

You’d say it’s not a zero sum game but life satisfaction levels in Poland are through the roof because we see that they’re so low in Germany.

• Vincent@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

ITT: people from different countries claiming that their country specifically loves complaining.

• waigl@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It’s weird, I wouldn’t have imagined those two to be hugely different when it comes to to things like human development or corruption, but in on this map, they’re on opposite ends of the spectrum, Bulgaria being the lowest value bar none, and Romania being surpassed only by Austria…

• sab@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

One thing I like about Romania is that it seems to be steadily improving the last 30 years or so. Granted, it had a terrible starting point, and improvements are slow as hell, but whenever I check up on them things never seem to be actively getting much worse.

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

My guess is they’re that much closer, geographically and chronologically, to what real authoritarian hell actually looks like. So, they have some actual perspective.

• Nerd02@lemmy.basedcount.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yeah agreed. You always hear people complaining about literally everything, turns out we still are above the EU average though.

On the other hand over here everyone talks about Germany as if it was heaven on Earth, but apparently the Germans disagree with that statement.

• sab@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I don’t think many Italians dream of having a German life as much as they want German wages. You’d have to pry the food, culture and climate out of their cold dead hands.

• nicetriangle@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

The one guy I know semi well who lives in Germany straddles this weird line of both hating it and loving it there

• im sorry i broke the code@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

What do you mean? Wages are terrible and services too but it costs as much as Belgium and France, with a fraction of the salary. People often blame high taxes but in Belgium they are much higher and the country is as big as Sicily or Sardinia

Working in Italy is painful: you have to work for 9 hours a day since break is not counted in a workday, most companies are so small you have virtually no benefits and the family-like governance is terrible, and for a lot of companies you are expected to do overtime. If you work in restoration it’s even worse.

Italy is good/decent only for tourists and elders, but since most of the costs for younger people are paid by their parents it seems better than it actually is.

To add a fun fact: a friend of mine is very proud to earn 1.4k a month with lots of straordinaries and the liquidation pay (no thirtieth month)

• Mandy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

The heck? My country aint a 7.9 Im calling bs if the highest order. We are drowning in bureaucracy hell the moment you are doing something even slightly different. Some of our apartments and housing is always listed under the most expensive options in Europe.

Who made this.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I know this map is only the EU, but it sure would be nice to see Norway, the UK, and Switzerland.