and would she be any better than biden/trump/obama? i honestly haven’t paid her any attention.

• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I don’t know who Tom Pool is, but I’d stop listening to him if I were you. He’s an idiot, a crackpot or (most likely) both.

• neidu2@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I know him, and you are indeed correct: He’s both, as well as other traits common in the right-wing shitmosphere.

• Sybil@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

he used to be a real journalist and he was great at finding conflicts on the ground and livestreaming them. something happened in the last 10 years, but he was, truly, a good journalist.

• sin_free_for_00_days@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Might be better than trump, in that she hasn’t pledged state sponsored political retribution and throwing out The Constitution, but Haley is still a Republican through and through and there is zero chance of a rational dem voting for her over Biden.

• numberfour002@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m wondering if there is a bit of misunderstanding or miscommunication going on here? I don’t know the statement or the context, but my interpretation based on OPs title is that this person is implying …

Registered Democrats will switch their party affiliation so that they can vote for Haley to be the Republican nominee for president.

The implication that enough Democrats will do this that it will affect the outcome is, how shall I put this nicely, wholly unsupported by data or reality. On the other hand, the intellectually dishonest types will actively seek examples of people doing this (or claiming to do it) and use that as “evidence” that it is happening on a wide scale.

The fact that some number of people will switch parties to vote in a primary is inevitable and happens every presidential election cycle and is not a tool used only by members of one party. You might as well predict that someone will get into a car accident in the USA in the next 24 hours.

• PrinceWith999Enemies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I have read about individuals doing this, but to my knowledge it has never happened in any sufficient numbers to tilt a primary in any state.

Some states run open primaries, so that any person can vote in any (but only one) primary. Other states run closed primaries, such that any voter who has registered as a member of that party can vote in that particular party’s primary. Yet others (eg, California last time I checked) have mixed modes. I believe the CA GOP primary is closed by the Democratic primary is open.

You can tell relatively easily by the number of votes in any given primary election whether they’re consistent in terms of turnout with previous years. As far as I’ve ever read, they tend to be year over year consistent. The one trend that has been noted in recent years is a small but as far as I know steady increase in independent voters (who as stated may or may not be able to vote in primaries depending on their state, but based on number of votes cast do not seem to have been a deciding factor in primary votes).

I generally have suspected that the idea of people switching parties to act as primary spoilers is largely just projection, as we tend to expect malfeasance of the Other, but the hard truth is that you can barely get large numbers of people to vote in actual elections, much less in something like a primary.

• ArtieShaw@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

So, it varies by state because everything is a certain degree of a shit-show here. In my state, you show up at the primary election site and you ask for one of two ballots. That’s enough to “register” you as a Dem or Rep. It’s pretty meaningless.

I know of one coworker who voted for Trump in the 2015 primary to “take down the Republican party from the inside.” Great strategy, Steve. I’m guessing that some similar idiocy is what’s being talked about here.

• mateomaui@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Why would you ever believe anything from Tim Pool? He does nothing but spout bs for engagement revenue.

• Sybil@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

He does nothing but spout bs for engagement revenue.

lately. once, he went fact-finding. but that was so long ago, most probably can’t remember.

• mateomaui@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

ok… what he did once doesn’t matter, what he does lately is relevant to something he just suggested.

• mateomaui@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Yeah, any suggestion that Dems would switch their party to GOP just to get a more favorable candidate to probably vote against is likely nonsense. It’s difficult to believe a significant number of Dems would vote for her considering her laughable stances on historical racism and slavery.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Obama? What? Is that something else some dimwitted right wing grifter said?

• Sybil@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

obama was the last democrat i voted for for president. i was hoping haley might be better than him.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What political positions do you hold?

• Sybil@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

fuck. I deleted my first reply while trying to edit.

I was a liberal inn 2008, fell for syndicalism for a while and now I lean heavily toward galleanist insurrectionism, though I also like black anarchism.

baby, I’m an anarchist

• zeppo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

That’s cool, but why would you consider Nikki Haley? She’s an outright Republican fascist, which is the opposite of that.

• Sybil@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I’m an anarchist. I was a liberal in 2008, fell for syndicalism for a long while and now prefer galleanist insurrectionism. I am starting to like black anarchism now, tho.

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Nikki Haley would likely win against Biden.

She’s (relatively) young, she’s a woman, she was born to immigrant parents, she’s taken a tough stance on Russia, she’s not obviously nuts.

If anything, the democratic establishment wants Trump to be the candidate. It’ll make a Biden re-election easier.