• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m starting to think Trump said something personally to Haley that seriously pissed her off, because she must know she’s not going to win.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I assume she’s hoping to get the Republican nomination by default if Trump is disqualified.

• lepinkainen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

This would be my dream (as a non-American).

I want to see if the deep red Republicans hate Democrats enough to vote for a woman, born to Indian immigrant parents just out of spite.

• Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

because she must know she’s not going to win.

Winning isn’t important. It’s the free money. Colbert showed years ago how PAC money could be transformed into a personal slush fund.

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

At this point she can only win. Winning the nomination and the election this year is a long shot, that’s certainly true. But whether Trump wins the election by whatever means and inevitably drops dead at some point or he wins the nomination but loses the election, she’s in place as his obvious successor.

• dhork@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It is extremely unlikely that Haley can pull a comeback and win the nomination the conventional way. But there is a non-zero chance that Trump will not be able to accept the nomination, because he may be ineligible/incarcerated/deceased. If that happens, the Republican convention will be a shitshow. (It might turn out to be the real Civil War II if next week is a dud). However, Haley would be going in with a position of strength as the only other candidate with delegates.

• Zitronensaft@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

There is nothing stopping incarcerated people from running for president, it has been done before. That probably helps to make it less enticing for corrupt politicians and their allies to lock up their opponents on false charges. Unless Trump dies within the next ten months or loses the support of his fanatic base, which both seem unlikely, Trump will be the Republican nominee. Haley might try for VP or try to carry her momentum into 2028.

• jaschen@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

He recently came out and said she would NEVER be his VP. After that she figured why tip toe around the orange elephant.

• Telorand@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Might be early preparation for a 2028 run. She’ll be a familiar face who was “strong enough to go toe to toe with Trump” or something. I dunno much about political calculus.

Plus yeah, this might also be payback to get him tilted.

• LEDZeppelin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

A lot of people don’t understand this. 2024 will very well be the last real election before we turn into russia-style sham elections which always result in putin getting elected.

• n0m4n@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Russia’s next honest election will have Putin falling out an inexplicably open window. It can be American history if America goes fascist.

• NoIWontPickaName@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

That’s what everybody said about 2020, yet we had an election, Biden was in power, then Biden started enabling and supporting genocide.

Seems like we might have made the wrong choice.

I would rather have an inept evil moron than the competent evil wolf in sheep’s clothing that we got

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

What exactly am I trying to fool people with?

How extremely anti-Biden I am?

What I think of the Buffoon Cheeto in chief?

I think it is pretty fucking clear where I stand.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

Yes, because I say fuck supporting genocide I must hate transgender and homosexual people.

Did it hurt trying to stretch that much?

• assassin_aragorn@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    5 months ago

Option 1: The genocide continues.

Option 2: The genocide continues, possibly gets worse. The government persecutes gay and transgender people and Muslims and immigrants.

Option 3: Option 1 or 2 happen anyway but you don’t vote for a viable candidate.

If you’re picking options 2 or 3, then yeah I don’t think you care that much about gay and transgender people.