• DrakeRichards@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’ve been using Typst. Its (mostly) open source and much simpler than LaTeX. It’s still very new though, so it doesn’t have all of LaTeX’s features, but it’s making very steady progress.

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Seems a bit early to declare an end to Latex then. According to you some use cases aren’t supported. What isn’t open source about it?

Don’t get me wrong, Latex has lots of weird quirks, and you made it sound like there were a few obvious options to replace it. But Typst doesn’t look like is ready for prime time.

• DrakeRichards@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I wasn’t trying to imply that Typst is a replacement for LaTeX. I’m more trying to say that I’m hoping Typst (and any other typesetting alternatives that might be out there) mature enough over the next year or two to become full replacements. It just doesn’t seem to be gaining much attention because of how dominant LaTeX is.

The main part that’s not open source is their web client, which I’m fine with. There’s a number of people on GitHub that aren’t happy about it though.

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

I see. It’s been a while since I last used Latex in college. Back then Kylyx was still in it’s infancy and I anyway had a established workflow with Makefiles. It seemed to me back then that the steady progress in user interface of Latex tools (like Kylyx and etc.) would be enough to make it more accessible.

Just like you have great coding IDEs nowadays with AI code completion helpers, something similar could be done for Latex. Incremental compilers for Markdown allow you to see changes in real-time in some editors, would be nice to have something of the sort for Latex. With these two and a context sensitive syntax helper (Clippy, but not annoying), and you have a killer solution. And one that is backwards compatible with all the tools that have been developed for Latex in these past decades.