Is there any list capability on Lemmy like on Mastodon etc.? It would be great to use them like what Multireddits was on Reddit

• maegul@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

No. But the idea or similar ones have come up before and are in the devs’ radar, largely though if as similar to multi-reddits, which were an established feature there.

• wiki_me@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There is an issue opened about this, I suggest posting a bounty on rysolv (or some other bounty platform if you think it is better), it might make the implementation faster.

• nutomic@lemmy.mlM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We dont use any bounty platform.

If you want a feature implemented, the best way is to do it yourself. In this case it could be helpful to write something like an rfc to describe how exactly the feature can be implemented on a technical level in the Lemmy code. Or implement it directly yourself, but that will be difficult.

• wiki_me@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

We dont use any bounty platform.

But if someone will post it on a platform and some third party freelance developer will implement it to get the money you won’t have a problem right?

The biggest advantage of bounties is that they give users a way to incentivize directly, people usually say to a developer “you are not your user” and developers might prioritized the wrong thing, a good bounty platform can create a market for contributions that will enable to estimate their worth, it also gives a bigger incentive to give money. Not saying it is the ultimate solution (which doesn’t exist) but as part of a funding plan it can be very useful in the highly competitive world of software development.

I know bounty source was linked in the issue template before, I suggest linking to rysolv in the issue template now (there are reportedly serious problem with bounty source now), because lemmy has now 65K active users it should work a lot better then when it had 1k.

If you want a feature implemented, the best way is to do it yourself.

tbh i don’t have the motivation to do more coding, And I am sure there are more like me (or people who just can’t code), I think there is a reason why the best big open source projects have a variety of sources of fundings, It’s hard to compete with closed source software.

• nutomic@lemmy.mlM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Sure we accept all well-written contributions. However bounty platforms dont work well for open source in my experience. At best the bounty for a given issue is a few hundred euros, which is far from enough for any serious developer to tackle it. So they bounties usually stay open for months or years, until one of the maintainers gets around to work on it. At that point its much more effective to donate directly to the maintainers.

• wiki_me@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

However bounty platforms dont work well for open source in my experience. At best the bounty for a given issue is a few hundred euros

Bounty source shows bounties for thousands of dollars, and it is a pretty bad platform, it does not even show the most funded issues, unlike rysolv which does.

But i think one of the biggest issues is that of a conversion rate, most users are simply not aware of that option (Or don’t feel sufficiently motivated to do it), If there will be a link in the issue template and a link on the read me to the top funded issue and i think it will really make a big difference, most of thunderbird recent spike in revenue seems to be due to a higher conversation ratio.