• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Chinese auto workers average less than $3 an hour. When an entire country pays everyone 10% of what US workers make, it gets really hard to compete.

However; fuck the 1 percenters. Bring back 1950’s taxes.

• Bartsbigbugbag@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

BYD assembly line workers make $40k US on average, where are you getting your numbers? And $40k in China is literally like having over $100k in the US in terms of buying power.

You can buy and have delivered fresh made food for $3 US. You can rent a studio in a large city for $250/mo including Internet (250mbps) and utilities. How do I know? My wife lives and works in China, in a 20m person city center, and pays exactly that.

Min wage varies across provinces, but on average it’s about ¥30/hr, or about $4.15/hr. So no, electric car workers aren’t making $3/hr. They’re making more than my wife, and she’s making more than that. She also has guaranteed sick time built in on a federal level, triple overtime for working on holidays(which they have more of than we do), and they just passed a law mandating workers democracy in all public and private companies that will be implemented soon. I hate when people talk out their ass about things they have no idea about.

• TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

While I agree that worker wages and safety protections are shit in China, one thing nobody mentions when they compare wages is the fact that Chinese people are given free healthcare and affordable housing.

93 percent of Chinese citizens own their house. They also have a low retirement age. So there are some things that kind of make up for the shit wages and toxic workplace in China.

I still think its pretty terrible to be lower class over there, but I don’t think its really any more terrible than it is to be lower class in America, honestly.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Have you not seen where and how the iPhone factory workers live? We got prisons that look more homely.

• Melkath@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

That’s 3 dollars an hour with all social services and human needs met.

American auto workers might make 20 dollars an hour, but life costs 22 dollars an hour, and if you aren’t in the auto union, you’re fucked.

Agreed, Tax the rich, limit C Suite income, regulate rent/property prices, limit profit margins on food, lower interest rates, give actual universal Healthcare, and watch America stomp China in the industry.

Do none of that and stagnate the spread of green technology to make the riches even richer and you are DC.

Complaining about Chinese people being guaranteed food, shelter, and Healthcare, and that system yielding cheap green technology is counter productive.