Ever seen someone doing their “unskilled job” all their life? It’s just fucking magic!

The truth is that capitalists hate skilled workers, because those workers have bargaining power. This is why they love the sort of automation which completely removes workers or thought from the equation, even if the ultimate solution is multiple times more expensive or less competent than before.

Nothing is more infuriating to a boss, than a worker that can talk back with experience.

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

If you can learn your job well enough after a week or so to do it satisfactorily, it’s an unskilled job.

There are definitely unskilled jobs. When I was a cart attendant at Target, I was in an unskilled job. If someone with less than two weeks training were left to do one of the jobs I have now, people would literally die.

• db0@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

The urgency or criticality of the job is not what makes it unskilled.

One can argue that an unskilled supermarket employee can cause economic hardship, or even death (think food poisoning).

There’s no such thing as an unskilled job.They all require training and in all of them you become better as you learn more about that skill. How you learn that skill, in practice or in theory is irrelevant.

Likewise, the fact that some businesses are OK to eat economic losses in bad workers and turnover in order to keep the worker dis-empowered does not make the job “unskilled”

• Revonult@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I agree that all jobs need some training, but I think the termology is the real enemy. Like yes a cashier needs training but is it comparable to what is considered “skilled labor/trades” like qualified electriction, plumbers, welders, engineers, etc?

I think everyone should make a living wage and think the terminology is definitely used to oppress and divide but whenever I see these arguments it really feels like people don’t see a distinction between the amout of work/time it takes to be competent in these jobs.

• db0@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Yes, it’s absolutely comparable at the same years of experience in that role. Like every other job.

• db0@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

It’s bullshit. How many people can replace the CEOs who routinely drive companies to the ground? Millions. Why were programmers badly paid when they were women-dominated but well paid when it was men?

Not a lot can easily “replace” the fast food worker who’s been flipping burgers for 20 years.

This is is just apologia.

• morrowind@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

It doesn’t matter if you think CEO’s can be replaced easily. It matters what company boards think and it isn’t many people. Also who they are willing to replace. Most of the board members probably have a close relationship with the ceo. Not so the burger flipper.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Bad CEOs sure suck. It’s so important to have a good leader at the top, nonprofits will pay millions given competing private sector demand.

We wouldn’t assume driving companies into the ground isn’t always accidental, would we? Feature, not a bug, if it’s someone’s job to strip mine a company until it’s a shell. :) Of course you also have e.g. Lehman Brothers CEO denying his firm was even in trouble, or Enron’s mismanagement and the subsequent 99% loss in value.

I had to look into the early days of programming. Sounds like it was viewed as an extension of clerical work and therefore tedious. Computational demands increased, salaries increased, increased salaries brought more men into the field.

I do imagine the best 20yr burger flipper is at least X% more efficient than the best 1yr burger flipper… but X is probably not above like what, 20%? In the executive world, I’d guess the ratio is far different.

Mannn, would this all be moot if we just had Universal Basic Income? Or nearly moot. Inequality would still abound, but it’s much more acceptable if the least amongst us are comfortable and can be happy.

• NightShot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

And I made a career in IT from googling shit and remember the steps. Dont see the difference…

• Cowbee@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Skilled labor is just compressed unskilled labor, at the end of the day labor is labor.