This isn’t about immediately filtered content, like the disgusting DuffMan George Floyd meme, or Holocaust denial. That’s pretty well kept in check by mod tools. I’m also not talking about cogent or even pointed political discussion.

I’m not even talking about necessarily in this community directly, however in a lot of other spaces I’ve noticed a lot of accounts using divisive language and terms like “The ineffectual left” “single issue voters” “ignorant right wing morons”. Lots of straw man arguments, lots of willful ignorance.

I’m not a centrist, I’m very very very far left however I know well enough not to patently dismiss the talking points of others, outside of course calls to genocide. I know what dog whistles sound like, and I’m hearing a lot of them lately.

Most egregiously I’m seeing very long form post replies that read very much like what is generated from LLMs.

So I guess my question is, how’re we all fairing with what might be the largest Turing test ever?

• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

We used to think that if we had user-generated content, we would all be immune to governments, corporations and other powerful actors spreading propaganda because we would get our information from each other, not them.

Turns out: governments, corporations, other powerful actors are perfectly capable of paying “users” to “generate content” and not even disclose this.

The Internet used to be an exciting development, now it’s just like, yeah it exists, so what.

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I remember, after being on the internet for a while, when the www standard was being adopted and all the web pages started popping up. It was so cool to see the kinds of content people were using it for. Then we got search engines like altavista, and it honestly seemed magical. It was like this egalitarian utopia, where all this knowledge was available to everyone; it was hard not to feel like it was the start of an amazing new phase for society.

So it was just soul crushing to me when we first started seeing intentional manipulation and misinformation. Search results that were skewed by paid advertisements or google bombing, propaganda being pushed into discussion forums, and all the fake news… it all represented the end of that amazing new phase. Heartbreaking.

• JackFrostNCola@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Oh man when i was young and go to play and explore with my Neopets, downloading things on limewire & chatting on msn messenger after dialling in to the ‘internet’ was magical.

I should check on my neopets, it’s been… A while.

• schnurrito
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I am too young for that, but I do remember discovering the concept of wikis and finding it amazing that websites could now be written by their audience.

A fairly dead concept by now, nowadays the entire rest of the Internet is more interesting than wikis.

• awwwyissss@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

paying “users”

And using LLMs, then eventually getting useful idiots involved as well.