• tias
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I think they don’t require that anymore. It’s a “Meta login” which can be separate from Facebook. At least for Quest devices.

• TragicNotCute@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Call it what you want, but this requirement prevents me from buying their products too. I use no Meta services. Don’t wanna start.

• MudMan@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Welcome to the classic social media 100m dash. Become a popular dunk target on socials > get people to call such and such choice as a dealbreaker > stop doing such and such > it is now “not enough”, or “they’ll enshittify it later” or “a slippery slope”.

Which fine, whatever. I’m not saying Meta are “good guys” (no corporation is, honestly). What I will say is a) that is not a particularly productive or functional way to engage with pretty much anything, especially when there is no comparable alternative to a product, and b) this is a remarkable incentive to NOT acknowledge criticism. I mean, if I’m Meta and I see this often, what is the incentive to not just force everybody to EULA away as much as possible? People will give me crap for it regardless, so I may as well get to sell some sweet, sweet data.

FWIW, I’m skeptical of the ability of Meta to turn around the VR market as a whole, I don’t like many of their privacy and content moderation practices and I no longer use Facebook, Instagram or Threads. But hey, I do have a Whatsapp account because it’s pretty much mandatory to exist in society, and I do have a Quest headset, which I agree is the best price to performance you can buy and works flawlessly with PC VR both wired and wirelessly.

• mipadaitu@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I don’t need to log into my computer monitor, why should I log into my VR goggles?

Don’t give them thanks for only half vacuuming your personal privacy, keep bitching until they do it right.

• MudMan@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

I mean, in this case because it’s a standalone device, so… for the same reason you log in to your PlayStation. Also, you already had to log in to it when this was a Oculus thing, the “I don’t want a Facebook login” complaint only became a talking point after they transitioned from the Oculus login over to the Facebook login, so the intellectual honesty in moving the goalposts based on this argument seems dubious.

In any case, I could see you getting uppity about logging in to use it wired. Maybe. There are a ton of hardware settings and configuration that are handled within the Quest’s software directly, so I bet that would be way less trivial to deploy than people imagine. There is certainly no way I can envision where this thing would be usable wirelessly without a software login. You need to run an app to link to your PC, be it the Oculus or the Steam Link app. For security reasons alone you don’t want a logless device that streams what’s on your desktop monitor at will.

EDIT: Also, for the record, there are a bunch of monitor manufacturers that do ask for a login. Hi, ASUS Armoury Crate, you suck and have always sucked.

• lurch (he/him)@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

You didn’t have to log into PlayStations back in the day btw… It just worked. Idk how it is now. (I switched to playing free games on PC and use my gaming budget to gamble on the stock market instead.)

My point is: Login doesn’t need to be a requirement for standalone devices.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

FYI, you can use a PSVR headset (at least the OG one) on a PC using third party software and not only do you not even need to log in to a Playstation account, you don’t even need a Playstation.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                2 months ago

Hold on, the last time you didn’t have to log in to use a PS console was… what, 2005? And you are seriously claiming in public with a straight face that you don’t use any gaming services that need a log in on PC? So… you use none of them? Not Steam, not Gog, not Epic, not Xbox, not EA Play or whatever Origin is called… none of those.

Well, I mean, bully for you, but I’m gonna guess that Meta is after a different demographic than… you know, people who don’t buy videogames on their videogame systems. Login absolutely has been a requirement for standalone gaming devices for the past twenty years, with no meaningful exceptions.

Specifically, though, what VR device do you use with no login? Because last I checked, all the places that deliver VR software have their own. The Oculus app does. Steam does. PSVR does. Apple sure does.

So… what type of mythical beast are you to be using this rawdog VR device with no login involved? Are you just beaming I Love Lucy to an HMD using the power of imagination?

• Valmond@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

Wow, the old “the others are doing it too!!” defence.

So lame.

You’re just a corporate bootlicker lol 😆, did you buy their VR set or what?

• MudMan@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    2 months ago

Yes, the old “standard practices for the past 20 years should probably not be the reason you stay away from one product over another if both products are doing the same thing”.

The bootlicking is off the charts.

For the record, I did buy one of their headsets. I also bought one of Valve’s and one of Sony’s. Turns out this VR thing has been going on for a while and I find it quite interesting.

I did make a login with all three of those companies.

• ElectricMachman@lemmy.sdf.org
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 months ago

I will just say that I don’t think Steam et al. are equivalent to logging onto your device. The account I use on my computer is… just that, a local account for my computer. So, if the Quest requires some sort of authentication, why can’t it be local too?

I have the same argument with consoles as well, but at least with the Xbox One, login still isn’t required unless you’re playing digital games. You can play all the disc games you like without any account.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    2 months ago

This is not right. The Steam login is very much an online login, you can’t create an account offline or a local-only account. Your login status is used for DRM and rich presence, among other things. Steam does allow a temporary offline mode for travel and so on, but it’s not just a local account. This applies to the Steam Deck as well.

I’m pretty sure you do need an account on Xbox to play at all, including physical media. I don’t think a local account will do, but I could be wrong on that one, there’s been some argument about how to use consoles in Antarctica and whatnot, so the details are fuzzy.

Also, pretty sure the current Oculus account system works the exact same way. You can definitely play offline as well. You made me go check because at this point it’s borderline gaslighting and yeah, you can absolutely turn off the Quest’s Wi-fi and play offline.

The reason you kinda remember it working differently than the Xbox and all the others is probably the half-remembered outrage from the one year when it did work differently that everybody forgot to get over because Meta is Meta and dunking on Meta is never not fun.

Which is fair enough, but for Carmack’s sake, if you do want an affordable HMD you can use both standalone and with your PC don’t hesitate just because of a half-remembered grudge, it’s okay to at least research it and give it a fair shake.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  2 months ago

Hold on, the last time you didn’t have to log in to use a PS console was… what, 2005?

Oh, SW RotS on PS2 with friends at summer, and SW BFII, and Gran Turismo

When PS meant something.

EDIT: 2007-2008 rather, but still

• MudMan@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    2 months ago

Hey, I miss being young, too, but if I’m going to argue for the good old days of actually having friends over to play games I’m not gonna do it over the budget VR headset. People didn’t get mad when Xbox Live happened and now this is the world we have.

• barsquid@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

If I ever encounter a monitor begging me to log in, that is going directly back where it came from the very same day.

• barsquid@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 months ago

I read some of your other comments. Your mouse wants you to log in? I think part of the problem is you.

But I am worried about, for example, finding a TV that isn’t a piece of shit. It does seem to be creeping in more and more product categories.

I wish people would quit buying that shit. Collective refusal to log in to our monitors would eventually end the begging. Too bad some people are desperate for RGB lighting I guess.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    2 months ago

The problem is indeed me in that I use an ergonomic Logitech mouse because RSI is a bitch.

And that mouse absolutely demands that you use Logitech’s annoying peripheral controller software, which also insists on updating with game button profiles every time you reboot your PC. Welcome to the future.

Hey, I agree that it’s bad and annoying and quite ridiculous for a mouse or just to use RGB lights. I really hope that MS’s centralized RGB management will replace most of it. My current keyboard already supports it and it’s great to have it right in the OS settings instead of being bloatware.

But my point isn’t that endless superfluous apps are a good thing, it’s that being big mad about a software and gaming platform requesting you to log in to it is at best anachronistic and at worst not a thing you want, given you are using your credit card and streaming your desktop through it.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Show me these monitors you speak of that force you to log in before they work.

E: I’ll interpret your downvote and lack of answer as “there aren’t any”

• MudMan@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                2 months ago

I did not downvote you and I genuinely just saw your post now, chill your bits. Some of us have a job or a life beyond refreshing social media constantly (and I’m already pretty bad on that front).

So to your question, I didn’t say “force you to log in before they work”, I said “ask for a login”. Which my ASUS display in fact does to deliver updates and control lighting. In fairness, their dumb app also covers the keyboard, mouse and motherboard RGB, but account login it has. So does my Logitech mouse, by the way. My other Alienware monitor is interesting, because it doesn’t have a login, but it does ask to collect your data, including it scrubbing your games library and constantly monitoring your controller with no opt-out for some reason. I think I would have preferred a login. Still better than Armoury Crate, though.

And of course that assumes we’re only talking about PC monitors. Every single one of my TVs requests a login as part of the first time setup process, whether you use them stand-alone or as a PC output. The trophy to most annoying spyware on that front has to go to LG, whose WebOS device allows me to log out after creating an account if I want, but then it will stop updating some of my apps, so each time Max decides to change its name or Disney wants to change the background on its Disney Plus app I have to manually log in, update, then log out again. Fun!

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  2 months ago

So you brought up an optional piece of software with an email log in and treated it the same as enforcing a log in. Cool.

Asus having software you can optionally use to control your display and other Asus peripherals/components is very different to enforcing a Meta/Facebook account to use a display.

That is not the same and the comparison is ridiculous.

If Facebook said that accounts were completely optional and only used to access their store or whatever then there would be zero issue.

But that’s not what they do. You have to log in and create an account just to have an HDMI signal and basic gyroscope functionality.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    2 months ago

No, I made a passing comment about how the comparison the OP made isn’t particularly effective and, in the social media 200m obstacles you have decided to create a tangent nitpicking that caveat to death because you think it scores points instead of being an obnoxious stalemate.

So no, it’s not “the same”, what it is is relevant to note that pretty much every piece of hardware you buy does at least request that you log in to a service and, of course, the part you’re actively ignoring, which is that all dedicated hardware and software platforms in the market, VR or not, do require a mandatory login.

So can we get back to the point or do you want to keep litigating your deliberate misrepresentation indefinitely? I see you have plenty of time, given you got so antsy about waiting 30 minutes for a response.

• hypnicjerk@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

b) this is a remarkable incentive to NOT acknowledge criticism. I mean, if I’m Meta and I see this often, what is the incentive to not just force everybody to EULA away as much as possible?

how incredibly fucking dishonest. profit motive is more than enough incentive for them to continue to do what they’ve already been doing for close to two decades.

“don’t boycott exceptionally shitty companies or you’re responsible when they just get worse” is possibly the worst take i’ve seen so far on lemmy.

• MudMan@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

That would sure be a bad take. Let me know when somebody makes it.

In the meantime I continue to argue that if you boycott people on the basis of their reputation without reversing that stance when they reverse their behavior then you’re not “boycotting” anything, you’re just removing yourself from the pool of possible customers altogether.

My issue isn’t with the notion of boycotting companies, my issue is with the moving of goalposts when the companies do cave to the pressure just to extend the online ragefest. I get that it’d be easier to argue with the imaginary opponent in your head, but if you want to argue with me instead I’d appreciate addressing the actual issue.

• conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

They haven’t reversed any behavior.

There is no circumstance that justifies having any account with anything Facebook owns, and stealing other company’s names to try to trick people into thinking they’re a different company doesn’t change that.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

Well, thanks for passing judgement on… let me check here… two billion people, as it turns out.

They have, in fact, reversed the policy that required linking your Quest account to a live Facebook account, though. That is a fact, perceived moral failings of a significant chunk of humanity or not.

• aesthelete@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

In the meantime I continue to argue that if you boycott people on the basis of their reputation without reversing that stance when they reverse their behavior then you’re not “boycotting” anything, you’re just removing yourself from the pool of possible customers altogether.

Dude, Meta has been and continues to be fucking terrible. If you don’t understand why then i guess you’ve been living in your closet in a VR headset for the last two decades.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

No, I understand the ways in which Meta is terrible.

I also understand the ways in which they’re not because I’m an adult who is capable of holding semi-complex concepts in my mind.

Meta sucks, their role in social media has been a massive net negative for society and they are at best in denial about that, and at worst a deliberate bad actor.

But they’re also a huge corporation, so if their dumb chat app is the standard for communication or their VR headsets are great and dirt cheap I will interact with them, just like I interact with Apple, Microsoft, Netflix and a bunch of other corporations I fundamentally disagree with on key issues.

I hate this notion that money is support. It is not. That is a stupid ass ultracapitalist fallacy to make people feel good for ineffectually buying one brand of cereal over another. I don’t take a political stance on Meta by not buying their cheap stuff, I do so by supporting political actors who are willing to break apart oligopolistic media companies and regulate their role in society.

• aesthelete@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I hate this notion that money is support. It is not.

Lol, that’s not a “notion” at all, it’s reality.

Even with the case of them providing a cheap headset, they’re betting (and they’re often correct, and always correct in aggregate) that you will make it up to them in other ways (e.g. your data, software purchases, etc.).

• MudMan@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    1 month ago

Well… yeah. They didn’t invent that scheme, that’s been how most gaming systems are deployed since the Sega of the 90s at least.

And yes, it’s a “notion” that is extremely anglocentric and intrinsically capitalist. It assumes that money is self-expression and speech and puts the onus of holding corporations accountable on individual consumers as opposed to regulators. It’s half a step away from “ban plastic straws” in the list of ineffectual guilt dispersal schemes meant to avoid addressing any real issues.

Hate to break it to you, but corporations behaving semi-functionally as opposed to destroying everything they touch is not down to your brave refusal to purchase superfluous consumer products for your own entertainment. You’re no superhero for not buying a thing you don’t need anyway. It’s governments that are supposed to have the power to hold them to account, not some magic hand bullcrap where the forces of the free market tend to a morally superior outcome. Can’t believe this is so widespread on supposedly leftie circles.

• MudMan@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

It depends on where you live. Over here my last Covid vaccine appointment was given over WhatsApp and the guys that came to install fiber in my apartment did the whole thing over WhatsApp as well. Every single chatgroup I have with friends and family is on WhatsApp. I’ve tried to surface the notion of Telegram and Signal being things at points and it’s an absolute no-go. People don’t say “I’ll text you”, they say “I’ll WhatsApp you”.

My mom calls it “sending a Whats” and I have never hated anything more in my life.

So yeah, very regional, but in the places where it’s the default, it’s the default hard, both on Android and iPhone. People in the US Apple bubble severely misunderstand to what extent Meta won the social media race. I don’t like it, but it is what it is.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Over here my last Covid vaccine appointment was given over WhatsApp and the guys that came to install fiber in my apartment did the whole thing over WhatsApp as well

“I don’t have WhatsApp”

• MudMan@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

If you want to roleplay this, then you may get a look, considering it comes preinstalled in both iPhones and pretty much every Android phone.

People are still aware of phone numbers existing, so they’ll figure it out. But like having an email address or a mobile phone, the default assumption is you have a WhatsApp account associated to your phone number and it makes a number of things more convenient.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I “roleplay” it all the time with phone numbers, names, emails, etc.

Enter fake ones or just refuse and they say “okay”.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 month ago

Yeeeah, we’re not hearing each other.

I don’t want to not have people reach me through the most convenient means.

I would very much prefer that not to compromise more of my privacy than absolutely necessary, for sure. But I do want a service like WhatsApp that everybody I know is also using. That’s a good thing. If Line was the thing everybody uses I’d be on Line. Back when it was MSN Messenger (because that’s what we had, ICQ was never a thing), I was on that.

I don’t aim to not use WhatsApp, I expect regulation to make it safe, just like it does for food and medicine and roads and everything else.

• aesthelete@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

But hey, I do have a Whatsapp account because it’s pretty much mandatory to exist in society,

I’ve never encountered a situation in which I’ve needed to use WhatsApp for anything. Today i guess i learned that i don’t “exist in society” or something. 😆

• MudMan@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Go find the other response I gave to someone else who made that exact joke.

TLDR, I’m guessing you’re American and just don’t realize to what extent WhatsApp has entirely replaced texting in many, many places around the world, regardless of whether you use Android or iPhone.

• aesthelete@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Who cares?

Why does a texting app have a network effect for you? Is SMS completely unavailable on people’s phones in your country? Or are you just afraid of seeming a little bit different from the pack?

• atocci@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

SMS is still expensive in other countries, internet access is cheap and WhatsApp is free. For example, it’s the only way my mom can keep in contact with her family in South America.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

Because, see if you can follow this logic, sometimes my mom wants to tell me things. Also my doctor. And my government. And the plumber. And delivery guys.

It’s not a “pack”, it’s a society and a family. And it’s not about “being different”, it’s about not having to explain to every single person in my life that they need to talk to me through a different device than they use for literally everything else.

Nobody I know has sent a SMS since the 2010s. You do not realize how detached from reality that sounds. I just checked my phone, the last time I received a legit SMS that wasn’t an automated notification was February 2022, when a seller from an eBay-like service wanted to ask me a thing about a delivery.

• aesthelete@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 month ago

So you’re saying sms does work on your phones, but it’s not commonplace so…guess if everyone’s using Satan’s butthole app instead might as well join the pack?

You have no idea how delusional you sound, this is like oh nobody makes phone calls anymore, instead they call through evilcorp ringytimes in my country so i guess i just have to give them all my personal information and offer up my first born, and it’s actually the fault of you guys…who don’t use this that evil corp requires that!

• MudMan@fedia.io
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 month ago

Oh, they call through Whatsapp, yeah. About 50% of the time, I’d say.

No, for real. A lot of my audio calls are through WhatsApp as well, they just show up as normal calls, and since that goes through wifi a lot of people on prepaid phones prefer that, especially if they have relatives in other countries that would trigger roaming charges. After a while it becomes habit.

You really, really, REALLY don’t have a picture of the scale of penetration into society of this particular application. I’m not shocked, I’ve seen it before. The slow realization is kinda funny, actually. If it makes you feel better, I keep hearing “blue bubbles” as something that full-on political parties have opinions about and I don’t see the point, either.

• awesomesauce309@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I’m not reading anymore of this thread, but go move to the EU and request all the data those companies you mentioned have on you. You will see a truly staggering amount of your day to day info from some of them. Facebook and google are just advertising companies trying to get their thumbs in every pie they can convince enough people to buy into. Part of that is designing their products to require phoning home. The issue isn’t signing in. Signing in is just the trojan horse to make sure every bit of data they pull from you is tied to the right advertising account ID. They shouldn’t be allowed to continue to do that, even if they have enough money to lobby for its legality. Even if every single company on earth was freely doing it to the same degree people should still push for a change.

The business world is truly a slippery slope. Google made unethical digital advertising into a major market, and now even if they close shop somebody else will come fill the gap. The only way to put the power back in people’s hands is to regulate them out of existence but that will never happen if most people don’t even know it’s happening because you can’t even fucking complain about it on the internet without a hundred reply thread jfc

• MudMan@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

No, hold on, get it right, the 100 post thread is about somebody defending something tangentially related to them. Thread was nice and short with just complaining, it was when somebody pointed out that the requirement people were complaining about had been removed that the massive dogpile started.

And yes, by the way, I do know what data these companies have on me. I pulled all my Google data just last week, all 50 gigabytes of it. I agree that regulation is the answer to this. Absolutely. Everybody knows that, nobody is finding that via a rant about factually incorrect anecdotes about Meta’s VR headset, of all things.

But also, I have an Android phone. With a Google account on it. Do you not have a phone? Nobody is saying to not complain about abusive data mining or breaches of privacy, but you don’t have to performatively pretend to never engage with them or that the reason they get away with it in absence of regulation isn’t that they do make things people want or need.

This conversation boils down to whether it’s a moral imperative to turn your chosen cause into your entire personality at the expense of reality and beyond any nuance whatsoever. And honestly, in the current sociopolitical context, and despite being just about the most superfluous demonstration of this imaginable… man, it’s such a bummer.

• hypnicjerk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

do you struggle to play peekaboo? how do you not grasp that they’re feeding into the same software ecosystem and your data is being stored in the same database?