• cmgvd3lw
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

I have to say, the technology behind cryptocurrencies is brilliant, but unfortunately, it got misused and got ironically centralised.
    NFTs are stupid.
    Now with hype train dying, we could see some real use of AI.

• KinglyWeevil@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

You see, no one actually wants a digital currency. There have been several (nano was my favorite) that functioned especially well as a currency, because it used very little compute power to perform or verify transactions.

But a currency is stable. Which means you don’t magically make money by holding or trading it. So it doesn’t get attention, and therefore doesn’t get widely adopted.

Everyone likes Bitcoin because it’s speculative digital gold.

• Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 hours ago

AI is useful, you just have to use it right. Most “titans of business” think it’s a replacement for humans. It’s infinitely obnoxious correcting them in a business setting.

• NateNate60@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

NFTs of art was really not supposed to be anything more than a proof of concept. I think the original purpose of NFTs was to be able to have an NFT representing title to land or something that you could then barter or sell on the blockchain.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

NFTs were created in a code jam and had no intents to become title transfer tools.

It was and always be limited by the amount of data the NFT can contain. They went with URLs because they are small enough to fit. An actual land deed title document? Too big to fit into an NFT. Simply not enough bytes to go around.

This was the strict limitation from the very beginning. The only thing an NFT actually verifies “ownership” of is a URL.

• NateNate60@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

While the NFT can’t contain the entire title document, it can contain the hash of the title document, and then the title document is simply recorded elsewhere on-chain.

• m88youngling@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 hours ago

I agree with this. A title to land ownership is in itself just a piece of paper, it’s not the land you’re owning. It’s effectively serving the same purpose as the hash idea you’re suggesting