• @ThugJesus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    145 months ago

I’ve never been closer to vegan than I am now. And I love meat and animal products and have long given up on the illusion of any ethical consumption in capitalism. It just turns out meat is way overpriced and you can make some tasty meals for cheap without meat and most animal products.

• 🐑🇸 🇭 🇪 🇪 🇵 🇱 🇪🐑
      link
      fedilink
      English
      125 months ago

I’m a vegetarian just because it’s the cheapest option. Meat is absurd in prices while going fully vegan, where I live, isn’t feasible either.

So I live off a mostly vegetarian diet. It’s not even for ethical reasons. It’s literally a “I want to save money” motivation.

• @scottyjoe9@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        75 months ago

Once governments stop or reduce funding for the meat and dairy industries, prices will continue to go up and more people will be like you. At the end of the day, animal products (especially those from bovines) aren’t super sustainable and cost a lot more than we pay at the supermarket.

• @agent_flounder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        35 months ago

It’s pretty nuts what they’re asking for meat. I don’t do the major shopping in the family but last time I went to get some ground beef… holy sweet baby cheez wiz. I could swear it the price had doubled since the last time I looked (which was probably pre covid).

There are so many great vegetarian recipes out there. Like, I mean, original things that were designed without meat in mind from the start not fake meat stuff like those vegetarian ribs I made one time. shudders

• Aniki 🌱🌿
          link
          fedilink
          English
          05 months ago

The prices for beyond/impossible are 1:1 with real ground beef at my local grocerywhore.

The choice is so easy.

• @ThugJesus@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            15 months ago

I wish those worked for me. It’s an autistic texture thing for me, so anytime I try substitutes I nearly gag.

• Aniki 🌱🌿
              link
              fedilink
              English
              25 months ago

I think as something like a burger it’s not that great but stuff like shepherds pie or meatballs where I’m adding other ingredients and seasoning it’s indistinguishable. I even fooled my whole family with some homemade beyond meatballs.

Now I kinda wanna try a hamburger lasagna.

• “the prices are 1:1 with real ground beef”

Okay, does it provide the same nutrients at the same amount of higher? Even then you’re comparing to ground beef, which is too expensive on its own already

I’ll stick to my vegetarian diet

• @weastie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      25 months ago

Honestly I feel like the idea of “there is no ethical consumption under capitalism” is so lame. Like I understand that you could find something technically ethically wrong with everything, but that statement just feels like a way for people who don’t want to give up certain things to justify themselves.

Capitalism, especially modern day capitalism where the government and companies collaborate, does lead to a lot of ethical issues. And yes, I understand that it is not liveable to give up everything that is unethical. But you can still have boundaries.

I mean like, buying oats and grains from a grocery store, which are typically grown domestically, compared to buying dead abused animals or bananas from a company that uses slave labor. Those are totally different things.

If you prioritize buying things that are made in countries that have better labor laws, and avoid animal products, then that’s a pretty damn good start.