• @Sanyanov@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

People are crazy when they promote closed-source AI (okay, okay, generative model) projects like ChatGPT, Bard etc.

This is literally one of the most important technologies of the future, and after all the times technology companies screwed them (us) up big time and monopolized the Internet, they go into the same trap again and again.

First they surrendered the free Internet, now they surrender the new frontiers.

Wake up, people. Go HuggingFace, advocate for free AI, and ideally - for a GPL one. We cannot afford for this part of our future to be taken away from us.

• Marxism-Fennekinism
      link
      fedilink
      English
      155 months ago

Abso-fucking-lutely. Time and time and time again proprietary technology fucks us over, this is no different.

• @Sanyanov@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        55 months ago

Fair enough

But I thought we speak general population here. Many points raised under this post are not really controversial on Lemmy :D

With that being said, I still see this goddamn ChatGPT all over Lemmy. Like, come on, Lemmy userbase, you’re better than that.

• @Sunrosa@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      85 months ago

I pointedly avoid ChatGPT for that reason. When the NovelAI leak happened, it was amazing, and the open ecosystem flourished in response. I just can’t believe they call themselves OpenAi.

• @Sanyanov@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        35 months ago

Ah, that name was left from when they’ve been open-source, which us why I advocate for the emergence of GPL-licensed projects.

The open-source license for GPT model was very relaxed, which OpenAI took advantage of and, once it could afford their own programmer staff, closed the code with all the contributions all the programmers from all over the world have made.

It’s an extremely dick move, and it was repeated by Google, too.

• Jessica
      link
      fedilink
      English
      45 months ago

I don’t use the current AI, specifically because it isn’t open source. Could I audit the code of an open source AI? Certainly not; it’s way over my head. However there would be an opportunity for experts to examine the source and report their findings. Currently? Black box, so no thanks.

There are so many projects that could become possible through novel use of an open source AI (or whatever it should actually be called).

Judging by the seemingly exponential improvements and integration, opinions such as ours are a grain of sand in Death Valley.

• @Sanyanov@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

To be completely fair, even open-source AIs are a little bit of a black box due to the way neural networks work - but I’d greatly appreciate if we at least knew the parameters on which it is trained.

It is absolutely possible to train all sorts of biases in a closed-source AI, and that’s what would be very hard in an open-source model. You can roughly set up outputs at whatever. In other ways, using open-source practically removes the malicious human factor (without removing positive impact)

Open-source models also can’t be restricted, paywalled or limited in any meaningful way, which is also vital.

• @phoenixz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      35 months ago

99% (likely more even) of the people out there don’t have a clue what software is, or remotely how it works, what it does, and what open or closed software is, let alone why it’s important.

Most people are seriously ignorant about these topics, so obviously everyone runs with closed source.

All the open source gods are getting older, the eff founder has cancer… I don’t really see a next generation step up like the previous one and that one was already a miracle that it had gotten us this far. We’re screwed on the software front. Eh, humanity is screwed in so many ways anyway

• @Sanyanov@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        25 months ago

It’s true that majority is unaware and doesn’t care, which is sad.

But we shouldn’t give up. There is plenty of youth going for freedom, and while we don’t yet have RMS of our generation, we will.

• @lseif@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      25 months ago

agreed. same goes for all technologies, but especially the thing determining our futures

• @Sanyanov@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

For text, I’d go with HuggingChat based on open-source Llama model. Previously there was Open Assistant, but it got closed. For pictures, renowned Stable Diffusion is the way to go. For music - Stable Audio, respectively.

Please note that none of them are GPL-licensed, so while they are open-source, they can sadly get commercialized in some form in the future. Also, while models are free, in order to meaningfully use them you have to either go through their service (which may annoy with registration, or even take payment for premium features), or train the model yourself (which is unrealistic for a home user). So this is still far from perfect, but it’s miles ahead of trash options from the original comment.