• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Ftfy: why aren’t phones made with jacks?

• juliebean@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

honestly, i had completely forgotten that some phones, for some completely unfathomable reason, lack an audio jack of any kind. if you are suffering through that, you have my condolences.

• MrFunnyMoustache@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Most android phones don’t have these… The only brands I have seen that still make phones with headphone jacks are Asus and Sony…

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

I looked at the list… It seems that almost all of them are mid/low budget phones, while high end phones rarely come with a jack. As much as it pains me to say it, it makes sense, since people who buy expensive phones probably can afford a wireless set while people who buy budget phones are less likely to buy wireless headphones.

• nudny ekscentryk@szmer.info
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

And you’d wrong again, because all mayor manufacturers offer affordable wireless headphones as well. You can get a decent pair for as low as $20 and great wireless headphones with active noise cancelling for $50.

• Funkytom467@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                6 months ago

I got a question thought.

I’m using heaphones made for the best audio quality, i use a quarter jack to my audio card or, for my phone, just add an adapter to 3.5.

But my phone is getting old, is it possible to keep a good audio quality, and the heaphones wich sound i like, but through bluetooth?

Because i’ve never experienced any good bluetooth converter, and neither did i found any good bluetooth headphones, and let’s be honest i kinda don’t want to buy a new expensive one after getting mine wich was already pretty expensive…

• TheGalacticVoid@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

You want a bluetooth DAC. FiiO makes some decent ones. Only downside might be audio latency, but the quality should be there for budget audiophile headphones like the HD6XX

• Funkytom467@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    6 months ago

Audio latency isn’t a priority for me, and since you mentioned it i’ve looked into the codec available (both on the phone i want and the dac) and it seems like FiiO is a very good option.

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

• ColeSloth
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    6 months ago

That won’t give good quality because the phone sending the signal to the DAC is sending a poor quality signal. Sending a poor quality signal to a high quality DAC won’t give you good audio.

However, all OP needs is just going to be a usb-c to 3.5mm audio jack to plug his headphones into. It will have pinouts for analog signal within the USB-C (USB c standard is specd to include analog stereo).

The issue still remains that most phones have a lower quality DAC. Ones that are only good enough to provide good quality for bluetooth devices. The last phone line I know of that had a really good DAC built in there the LG V series phones (v20, v30, v40, v50).

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Most wireless earbuds will become useless bricks since they are designed to be really hard to repair and batteries degrade with charge cycles. So while you can get an earbud on a budget, they will need to be replaced much more frequently than a wired pair of earbuds at the same price.

• nudny ekscentryk@szmer.info
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

I got mine pre-covid in 2019 for 30 bucks and they still hold over 4 hours playback time on a single charge and around 4-5 full charges in the charger box.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    6 months ago

I’m glad you have had a good experience with yours, but that’s the exception rather than the rule. I’ve been using the same pair of wired earbuds for 18 years (2004-2022), not being careful at all with them… They went through countless times in the laundry machine during my teenage years when I forgot them in the pocket and never had a problem… While both pairs of wireless earbuds I have had died within less than 18 months when I was careful with them.

That’s why I won’t be buying wireless junk. Even if they are cheaper than they used to be, they are less reliable and become ewaste quickly due to their hard to repair designs.

The only pair of repairable earbuds I am aware of are the galaxy buds live (the ones that look like kidney beans), but they don’t stay in my ear, so I didn’t buy it.

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

9/10ths of the 2/3 of the phones that have jacks are low tier cheapo phones. Only a few of the higher end specd android phones have audio jacks. The boost mobile phone you get from Walmart for $49 has the audio jack.