I’m in a catch 22 situation. I want to go to a four year college, but I was previously placed in the remedial track and have a poor academic standing. If I go to a community college, I could improve my grades, but the material they cover is a replacement for high school classes and I’d be precluded from signing up for entry classes at the four year college. This seems like to would put me at a disadvantage when that finally happened and I would only be setting myself up for long term failure.

I’d consider CC if I could “transfer” in as a freshman to a four year, but the colleges I looked into all have rules against applying as a freshman if you have two years worth of credits. When I tried CC, the material was absolutely high school level just with smaller font in the textbooks.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

FWIW my biggest (late 1990s) college regret is that I didn’t do community college for 2 years then transfer to university. The university I wanted to go to allowed for direct credit transfer (from the nearest CC) after 2 years and one of my friends/roommates took advantage of it. He lived in an apartment with us university students and didn’t really miss anything other than 2 years of student loans.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I’m not sure I understand the question.

My friend who did 2 years of community college before transferring to univerity went on to become a veterinarian.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

My goal is to maximize my time in a research college and do good there. Starting as a freshman means two more years of networking and access to the school’s facilities. What happens after is irrelevant. I already have a career.

My only question was about college preparation that doesn’t involve cc credits. Not life advice.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I know lots of folks that have gone to college on the “5 year plan”. Does the school you’re going to kick you out if you haven’t obtained all the Bachelors degree credits in 4 years or less?

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

I don’t know. Is there a way to reset my academic record if things go wrong? I got locked into a piss poor high school record(this post was about circumventing that) because of an over ambition child study team and a helicopter parent. If I get into financial trouble, I can declare bankruptcy, but I can’t redo high school or college? The colleges I looked at all say if I don’t declare all previous education, it would be considered fraud and I would get expelled. I can’t try community college for real because there’s no going back if it’s not good enough.

Hell, I didn’t even fulfill the basic requirements dictated by the state for a high school diploma, but the state board of ed didn’t feel like receding my diploma. If not for that, I would have been able to go to a charter school.