• @NeatNit
    link
    English
    792 months ago

Can I just say that is awful advice. There’s an easy way to save it:

“Tell me where you are and I’ll give you a few good options to start with”

When the poster is clearly a hopeless beginner this kind of response is useless and overwhelming in information that they have no chance of understanding.

• @MadBob@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Yeah the muscle man from the meme wouldn’t assume where the beanpole lives. He might live in the place whose past governments colonised wherever OP is assuming they all live.

• @Windex007@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      2 months ago

It’s amazing that you want to enter this space, and I’d love to help you achieve your goals with every resource I have.

As you learn and grow, (Edit: correctly pointed out as sanctimonious)

I hope you’ll eventually consider augmenting your goal to include native species, which will bring the added benefit of maximally helping the ecosystems in which you are a part.

• @Rodeo@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -22 months ago

No, it’s great advice, and if they can’t figure out to google “native flowers in my region” after that then they really are hopeless.

Why is the onus always 100% on the people trying to help, while the newbie gets a free pass on not putting in effort? Frankly if the newbie put some effort in they probably wouldn’t have even needed to make the post in the first place.

Of all the hobbies and random niche things I’ve taught myself on the Internet over the course of 15 years, I’ve only ever had post questions twice. Whatever question one is asking has already been asked and answered. Very, VERY rarely is someone looking for information so niche that it doesn’t yet exist on the Internet.

• @NeatNit
        link
        English
        62 months ago

Have you ever tried to google a specific question like this about a topic you’ve never dipped your toes in? It’s impossible to start.