• protput@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

A good alternative to keepass is a self hosted vaultwarden btw. (compiled from bitwardens opensource code iirc)

• sol@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Vaultwarden is not compiled from Bitwarden’s code, it’s a separate project and codebase but designed to be compatible with Bitwarden’s API.

Bitwarden is open source and you can self-host it but IIRC it’s a bit more complex and resource-hungry than Vaultwarden.

• dan@upvote.au
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

They have totally different design goals which is why Bitwarden is more resource-hungry and more complex to deploy. Bitwarden can scale up to large use cases such as companies with hundreds of thousands of employees (it’s what they run on the hosted version, after all), whereas Vaultwarden is designed to be small and light for home use cases where you almost always have <10 users total.

• Brayd
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I agree. But I think is much easier for people to use KeePass compared to self hosting Vaultwarden

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I found keepassium for the work phone and I was in love that I could keep a separate db with my OTPs under a password and backed up.

Then I left that job and had to split my OTPs. Vanilla keepass for droid will gives me the OTP values for gitlab etc, so it’s good there, but Vanilla keepassium for Android has no camera/QR->OTP input that I have yet, one that works like keepassium does and is all compatible down the line. I’d love to keep using it to maintain the existing separate keepass OTP db I have.

Do you (or anyone) know of a good combo for droid that gets

• keepass
      • backup to box/gdoc/etc
      • qr for OTP

In one final package? Does XC do it in a way we think may be compatible?

• Futurama@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Keepass2Android does all that on android. It natively supports Dropbox, google drive, one drive, nextcloud, pcloud, and mega, plus you can use WebDAV or sftp. When editing an entry, the totp setup has the ability to scan qr codes with the camera. Plus, the whole thing is free and open source.

They even have a package on F-Droid, though that build lacks the built-in support for cloud syncing (due to F-Droid restrictions prohibiting binaries, I think).

I’ve used this app for years on android, paired with various cloud sync options as providers change their restrictions and capabilities. On desktop, I use keepassxc.

• Lewistrick@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hm i switched from KeePass to Bitwarden because the latter lets me use my passwords on multiple devices and as a Firefox extension that enters my credentials at a shortcut.

Can you elaborate why you think KeePass is better?

• Brayd
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think it’s more flexible. Also, due to the databases just being normal files you can sync them with syncthing between your devices.

In my case I run a NAS at home on which they’re stored so I don’t need to sync them. I just open them directly from the NAS.