• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

That very few adults spend their time fretting about how people refer to them in the third person.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

If you were regularly harassed by being called a gender that you aren’t after spending years pretending to not be that gender because other people wouldn’t like it, you might care.

Just like you might care if you were black and someone refused to stop calling you ‘negro.’

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

That’s my whole point though.

I just can’t imagine caring about this very much. Sure, when I was an angsty teen, but as an adult “what people think” about me is just so far down the list of things I care about.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Maybe because you come from a place of privilege where you didn’t have to hide who you really are due to a vast amount of society hating you for it and just want a little bit of courtesy from the people around them instead of endless hatred?

• fine_sandy_bottom
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

Maybe. Or maybe I just don’t care about how people refer to me, shocking though that may seem.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 months ago

Okay, tell me about how you overcame massive societal hatred and disapproval to show the world who you are at the risk of your own life.

• Drivebyhaiku@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Your perception and opinions is likely why you don’t know of any adults who fret over third person pronouns. You are not a safe person to bring those concerns up to so no one is going to out themselves around you. I assure you it’s more common than you think.

Generally speaking we’re looking to gain quality of life. If someone negatively reacting is a bigger problem than the internal dysphoria triggers then we take the loss and just quietly hope we don’t have to be around you for long.

• refalo@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

the problem is, in the tech world, many transgender people seem to make their entire existence revolve around their gender identity and then try to force inclusion politics on everyone.

• llamajester421@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Let me fix that for ya. In the real world many cisgender bigots make trans people entire existence about their gender, and then try to enforce cis-sexist ideologies on sports, healthcare, culture and education.