In the current spectrum, how much should one spend to get the best value? I know everyone has a different taste and budget. But analysing the current trend of smartphone culture could give a bit of insight into spending wisely.

• @Blaze@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      English
      164 months ago

The issue is that currently the 1-2 years used flagships have a lot of issues

• Samsung S21 and S22 have bad batteries, not even talking about Exynos if OP is based in the EU
      • Pixel 6 and 7 have bad connectivity and also some battery issues
      • OnePlus aren’t what they used to be

That reduces quite a lot what should be the main source of used flagships

• @cmgvd3lwOP
        link
        English
        44 months ago

Don’t buy S22. Speaking from experience. Single update messed up the whole thing up.

• @Tolstoy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    154 months ago

I prefer older used flagships. It’s hardly depends on the use case though. I don’t care about camera, games or what so ever. Phone, messenger and maybe a handful of apps for social and homelab. So for me it’s max 100€

• @9715698@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      84 months ago

This is getting to be a better and better option with Google and Samsung promising more than 3yrs of OS updates.

• @BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -74 months ago

Meh, OS updates are overrated, especially now that Android is so much better with battery life.

I have a phone running Android 9… And it’s super fast. And if I switch it to Lineage/Divest, it’s even faster.

• @doublejay1999@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    144 months ago

I use apple phones, but i usually run 3-6 years behind.

Currently have an 11 , I think they are up to 14. I don’t really see what the new models do.

Still the thick end of 250 quid.

I don’t know what people who spend 1000 tell themselves.

• @Krudler@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      33 months ago

It’s funny, I bought an s9 plus at launch and was recently “kicking tires” thinking of upgrading.

Looked at the recent crop and from my judgement, they’re about 15% better than this one for the things that matter to me. For only $2,000 CAD

Looks like I’ll be having the screen and battery replaced and keeping this for another 7 years.

• @NotMyOldRedditName@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        3 months ago

If you don’t care about the cameras…

Nowadays that’s probably the biggest most worthwhile improvement you’ll see.

Edit: The difference between your S9 and an S23 or S24 would be pretty dramatic.

• @Krudler@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    123 months ago

These questions are so exhausting.

How much does a car cost?

Look, you have to figure out what you need and what you can afford and then research it.

• @jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      54 months ago

This, plus make sure it’s hardware security updates too, and not just OS updates. Some disenguious vendors like to confuse the two terms in their favor. I.e. fair phone.

• @rekabis@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

You’re an Apple fanboy too, eh?

That’s the metric I’ve been using for the last decade-plus, and it’s kept me locked to Apple for that very reason. When you can get 6-7 years of completely new OS upgrades, and another 2-3 years of security updates after that, Apple is a no-brainer choice to make.

• @nonprofitparrot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        73 months ago

The new Google and Samsung phones have been promised 7 years of updates, including major Android versions and features drops!

• @rekabis@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Mm-hm. And Apple has been doing this since the very early days.

Let’s see how these abandonware-loving companies pull this off, first. My work phone was promised three years of updates, and it’s still waiting for Android 12. Which came out in 2021. I doubt that it, much less Android 13 and 14, will ever end up on the device from a bog-standard update.

• @weew@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            63 months ago

Actually apple doesn’t provide any guarantee. They’ve historically supported their devices for a while, but if they choose to cut their support short, it’s entirely within their rights.

• @DevilOfDoom@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -44 months ago

No phone that I used in the last 10 years survived longer than 3 years so why would i care about 6-7 years of OS upgrades?

• @AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          33 months ago

Have you tried an iPhone? With a case? Admittedly I don’t have experience with other brands but iPhones have always just worked, reliably, for my family of four, and have held up for years

They’ve usually lasted except for this last round where my teens had our old iPhone X’s: 3-4 years with adults, perfect. However the kids kept taking their cases off and dropping the phones. I don’t know why they were so careless this time around, but I can’t fault the phones. If they were trying to get early replacements, they only succeeded in carrying around phones with broken screens

Anyhow, good phones are sturdier than ever and can last with even the most moderate of care

• @rekabis@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          4 months ago

I was using an iPhone X until just a few weeks ago, and my father is still using my old iPhone 6.

The iPhone 6 I got in 2014. That was just over 9 years ago. And my X lasted for over 6 years… and will be replacing my dad’s 6.

iPhones can last a hell of a lot longer than any Android device for the same care taken of them.

• @ManosTheHandsOfFate@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            13 months ago

I’ve been an Android user since the beginning, started with the G1. But I’m starting to think about Apple. I have no other Apple products but I just don’t care about phone tech any more. I want a long lasting phone that launches apps, texts, and makes phone calls.

• @rekabis@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              13 months ago

As much as I would love to welcome you with open arms, be aware that each platform has highly opinionated ways of doing things. If you are a long-term Android user who is just looking for a “simpler” experience… yes, iOS is indeed a more user-friendly design and has less friction between its different parts, but it does so in much different ways that will present you with an initial learning curve that might be too much of a slog for you.

Just… get an iCloud tier that satisfies your storage needs. Even if you have no other Apple devices to sync to. Trust me, it’s literally an insurance package in case your phone gets lost, critically damaged, or stolen, and is stupidly simple to use as a recovery source. I quite literally cannot count how often I see people who have lost a crapton of personal photos and data because they were willing to get a $1k+ phone, but couldn’t stump up the 99¢/mo for that iCloud storage.

• @TheInsane42@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I tend to limit myself to max €100 per expected year of use. It’s just a phone to me. My Nokia 6.1 was €300 and is still working. Main requirement is the availability of an alternatuve rom for it.

• @pathief@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      24 months ago

Yup, I also budget 100 euros per year. I tend to buy phones around 400 euros myself, they need to last 4 years before I buy a new one.

Currently on a Poco F2 Pro with LineageOS, still needs to live for a couple of years.

• smallaubergine
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    4 months ago

For me its 250-350. I can usually get a 1 or 2 generation older flagship device at that price, refurbished.

• @huginn@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    84 months ago

Value is subjective.

When the Pixel 7 came out it was incredibly good value for money. Buttery smooth, high quality cameras, best quality android experience $500. Unbeatable, and made the A series not worth it that year.

This year I’d probably say the pixel 7a.

• @kuneho@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I thought maybe if I buy flagship Samsungs, I won’t have those problems I had with Xiaomis, unpredictable bugs, slowing down, also maybe Samsungs have better build quality…

tho I don’t have those and yeah, much better build quality, my Note 20 Ultra still had issues where warranty replaced almost the whole phone - after one year. My Fold 4 cracked its own inner screen by the peeling off screen protector, which costed me with a one time offer around 150USD. Again, in one year after buying.

the price don’t matter. it’s just pure luck at this point.

I used to buy phones for around 150USD. tho this trend of mine was only possible 5-10 years ago.

My BlackBerry Z10 and Z30 costed me this much, and those were the best smartphones I ever had and will have.

after this Fold 4, no idea what will I get, but I hope for several more years, this won’t be an issue.

• @cmgvd3lwOP
      link
      English
      24 months ago

My advice would be to stay away from smsung

• @rekabis@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        14 months ago

Samsung seems to be failing in almost every consumer sector they’re in. Their appliances in particular are being dropped by stores across Canada because the chains don’t want to deal with the tsunami of warranty issues that crop up.

I only wonder when this drop in quality will trickle down to their business-class products… I have a thing for their U.2 drives (dat DWPD goodness!) and ECC RDIMMs.

• @kuneho@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        03 months ago

yeah, my conclusion is kinda that.

and this is the reason why I really don’t know what brand to jump in next. I try to avoid Chinese or emerging Chinese companies for a while, tho quite a few years has passed since I owned one, so I’m not completely dismissive with them either. It would be nice to stay in the foldable world, though.

• @cmgvd3lwOP
          link
          English
          13 months ago

Try motorola for a change. Their regular phones are very good. Next to no bloatware. Have a foldable razr lineup if you want. The only sad thing is their lack of updates.

• @corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -24 months ago

costed

Particples are hard.

My Fold 4 cracked…

Yeah. Ya think?

Really, I’m amazed when the folding-screen phones don’t crack; it’s like they’ve broken a fundamental law or something by continuing to exist intact.

• @kuneho@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        43 months ago

Particples are hard.

idk man, I just pretend to know English, so errors may occur here or there.

• ඞmir
    link
    fedilink
    English
    73 months ago

Whatever the most recent cheapest Pixel costs

• @jpreston2005@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    64 months ago

Yeah, just find a phone that was cutting edge 3-4 years ago. get it used off amazon or wherever for like $200-300. I bought my Samsung Galaxy S10 like 4 years ago, it still runs amazingly well.

• @limerod@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      33 months ago

This is going to be even better with 7 years of updates on flagship smartphones from Google, samsung and Fairphone going forward. Your phone would still be updated and fairly secure by the time you get it.

• @limerod@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    53 months ago

It depends. If you can find good deals then any phone within $300-$500 should suffice. They are for the most part quite similar.

My current one cost $350. It has 12GB of ram, 1TB of fast ufs 3.1 storage. A 120hz curved amoled display with HDR support(on youtube). Also supports 67w fast charging. Plus, stereo speakers and a capable dimensity 7050 Soc. The camera is also nice with OIS.

I was considering a midrange Samsung. But, the deal(1Tb of storage and 12gb of ram, within $350) was too good to let go and Samsung wasn’t providing any price cuts to justify the price. So, I made the choice. YMMV. Good luck.