image description:
two soyjaks superimposed on a terminal screen, pointing towards the terminal output that reads the following:

91 packages can be upgraded. Run ‘apt list --upgradable’ to see them.
N: Repository ‘http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm InRelease’ changed its ‘Version’ value from ‘12.4’ to ‘12.5’

• Johanno@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m running debian Trixie with kde plasma.

Only issues that annoy me:

Two monitor setup. It often forgets my second screen and sometimes it’s moves the window out of the the still recognised one. Only a reboot fixes it.

Sound: pipewire has some issues especially with wine where there’s a sound pitch fragment that every so often makes the audio distorted.

• lemmesayOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Debian + xfce is the best thing ever. though admittedly I use i3 on my main machine(with xfce apps).

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Debian is the only distro you can setup with unattended upgrades and not have any issues or changes. Debian also has quick security patches compared to well know stability like RHEL.

I’ve setup Debian to host a few services in the past only to completely forget about it. It ran for years without me touching it.

• PeterPoopshit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Eh, updates still break things on Debian just like on Arch. It may happen less often but when you do run into problems, you’re completely screwed. I updated to Debian 12 like a year ago and still haven’t fixed all the issues because it’s a server and reinstalling the entire OS is completely out of the question and a beyond reasonable amount of work. On Arch, stuff breaks more often but the saving grace is that everything breaks often enough that you can count on there being an up to date wiki page for whatever problems you run into. On Debian if something semi obscure breaks, that feature is gone for good if you hate format and reinstalls.

Tbf, I did eventually get everything except zoneminder (and the ability to automatically reconnect to wifi when it loses connection WITHOUT HUMAN INTERVENTION) working again on my Debian server but the fact is it 100% worked before the update.

• PeterPoopshit@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Hmm there doesn’t seem to be a section for “how do I prevent zoneminder from getting fucked and when I spend a month fucking with source code, databases, permissions, config files and everything else I can possibly think of, I can finally get it to work except the android app can’t playback events but it works through browser and no one on the forums knows shit” but thanks.

• PlexSheep@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I run two Debian servers since Debian 11, with unattended upgrades, never had anything break from that.

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

An update and a dist upgrade are two very different beasts. If anyone is advocating for unattended distribution upgrades they’re mad. Especially on a production server. That is something that needs planning and testing.

• lemmesayOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

living on the edge? how does it feel like?

• Hellfire103@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It’s honestly a lot smoother than people say. Things mostly work fine, and the odd breakage is never a real issue and is quickly resolved.

However, I had to install Librewolf as an AppImage, since bgstack15 was having some trouble getting the OBS to work recently.

• 9488fcea02a9@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Running sid for 5 years now. Had one major breakage where couldnt boot into DE automatically for a few days. I think it affected everyone…

Had one other minor breakage where i ignored a warning from apt-listbugs… I learned my lesson after that

So… Overall, sid has been a really good experience… Just make sure you read the listbugs warning on every update. And always double check if running full-upgrade to ensure nothing important is getting removed

• saroh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Debian distros are named after Toy Story characters.

Sid is a kid who breaks all the toys.

Sid is Debian’s unstable branch :D

• Hellfire103@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It’s the “unstable” rolling version of Debian. The issue I used to have with Debian was that the packages were quite old, but that’s not the case with Sid.

• Sanctus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is why I use debian on my noobie home servers (I’m sorry Ubuntu I dont like you.) It runs my minecraft server just right. Its also why Arch is my daily work laptop. People’s whose only relation to linux is knowing me marvel at a command line update, and well anything command line.

• laurelraven@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I agree on Ubuntu Server, messed around with it a bit years ago and was impressed how easy certain things were to set up, but evaluating it in virtual to see if it would be a good fit for a server I’m building right now, it was just annoyance after annoyance while Debian, though it had less ready out of the box, just… Worked. In a sensible fashion.

I’ve been happy with it so far…

• Sanctus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I honestly think something is wrong with the only physical server I have. Bought it for 100 bucks in a parking lot and it wipes everything when it restarts. So I should maybe give Ubuntu a little more slack who knows what else was going on in this shitbox.

• grubders@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

back in bullseye i would wait for months with no updates, now in bookworm i get at least 2 updates in a week, every debian release just gets better

• Pantherina@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

TIL the boys where advertizing vegan chicken nuggets. Nice.

Will still not step inside a KFC but nice anyways.