• somename [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

They aren’t even dangling the idea of giving the Cubans their land back. This is just the pipe dream of the prison closing, not the naval base.

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

That shit pisses me off so much. It’ a federal law to have that stupid fucking grifter flag everywhere. It’s so fucking stupid, just the kind of absurd patriotism satire you’df say was too silly for a satire, and it’s real, and I hate it.

• D61 [any]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Anybody ever look closely at that stupid flag… like REAL close?

The person in the Guard Tower is wearing a sakkat, so its deffinitely supposed to be aimed at POW’s/MIA’s from only particular conflict.

• SoyViking [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Embrace it and expand the grift. What about a new POW/MIA flag for cops? Or a flag for the future POW/MIA? And why are the wokes excluding confirmed kills? Add a new KIA flag. Plus one for cops.

• Rojo27 [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Listen, I’m not going to close Guantanamo Bay or else all of Hamas will escape from Mexico and I’ll be angry with President Corn Popbiden-the-thing

• Greenleaf [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s 2024 and no one in America even questions the existence of an actual colonial outpost. The UK and Portugal suck but at least they gave back Hong Kong / Macau.

• zed_proclaimer [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

during the hong kong protests i never once saw a pro-protest lib ever once mention the simple fact that HK was a British Colonial outpost with literal British judges still ruling over it

• jackmarxist [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The HK protests were half about people wanting British rule back. They legit didn’t see colonialism as a bad thing which pissed of the mainlanders. Also it was probably the thing that radicalised me.

• jackmarxist [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

The UK and Portugal gave them back because China would’ve invaded them to take it back and they wanted to avoid international humiliation. X

• Volcatile [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Empty words for a near-impossible task. You can’t imprison “enemy non-combatants” on American mainland nor can you commit political suicide by deporting them to their home country.

What’s even the point of promising this? What undecided voter is dying on this hill?

• TimeTravel_0@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

What’s even the point of promising this? What undecided voter is dying on this hill?

Its not intended to win over voters who are undecided between republican and democrat, its trying to win over those who are undecided between democrat and not voting or protest voting.

whether or not it was effective, I have my doubts.

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Who even cares at this point? They’re trying to buy complicity in the extermination of millions of Palestinians for a half dozen prisoners? What is happening in DC?

• TimeTravel_0@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

this promise was made before most americans could point to palestine on a map. also washington isn’t known for being in touch with what the people really want.

• D61 [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m probably misremembering a lot but, right now, the inmates at Guantanamo are considered something like Prisoners of War… but not. Most of/All of them have not stood trial.

Moving them to the USA mainland and trying to dump them into the USA civilian legal system to “stand trial” would result in them being let off on any number of technicalities such as “being tortured for many years” and “being detained with little or no evidence”. And we can’t have that, now can we? desantis-beta-walk

• Zuzak [fae/faer, she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

and trying to dump them into the USA civilian legal system to “stand trial”

No, they’d still be kept in indefinite detention without trial, but on American soil. That’s the reason that several progressives voted to block the move, because it would’ve established further precedent to expand those conditions into the US. It wouldn’t have given them a fair trial (by US standards) or stopped torture, it would’ve just allowed them to be held without trial and tortured on US soil. obama-drone

• Deadend [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

At this point they are hoping the prisoners try to escape, so the US can give then a trial/conviction for trying to escape prison.

• livestreamedcollapse@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Even German law recognizes trying to escape prison is a sane response & doesn’t extend sentences for re-captured escapees

• Great_Leader_Is_Dead@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I wonder if a Lemmy Lib is gonna wander in here to tell us that no president ever (except Trump and maybe Bush) actually had any power to do anything.

I hope so I’m kinda in the mood for a Lib dunking today.

• DyingOfDeBordom [none/use name]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I want a lemmy lib to come in here and tell me why we actually need to vote so Biden can do this at the end of his second term because the end of his first term isn’t good enough

• VapeNoir [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Presumably because they can’t do anything about it. The US offers Cuba a nominal sum to “rent” the land to maintain legitimacy and iirc the Cuban government has continually rejected it on principle.

• SSJ2Marx@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I’m imagining a huge stack of checks in a storage room. When the time is right, the cuban president will deposit them all at once, overdrawing America’s account and collapsing the economy.

• mar_k [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Apparently they only give $4,085 per year for it, $340 a month for 45 square miles, locked in since 1974

• Greenleaf [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Cuba one million percent doesn’t want them there, it’s just they can’t do anything about it. Taking it back militarily would definitely trigger war / an invasion. It was created when Cuba was conquered and colonized by the USA.