• @Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    842 months ago

I dunno about you, but if I click a link and it says they’re going to share my info with 164 ‘vendors’, then only shows an “accept” button, they can fuck right off and I’ll never go to their website again

It’s 2024, that shit’s illegal in the modern world

• @gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        152 months ago

See that copyright at the bottom? That’s why we don’t do this.

This is how you get the relevant copyright holder to hit your lemmy instance with a DMCA takedown notice (or whatever the relevant jurisdiction’s legal equivalent is). I’m not saying I like it. I’m just saying that the Powers That Be will enforce that rule if they catch you, and it’s far less trouble for the people who are letting you use the server capacity of their lemmy instance if you just… don’t post copyrighted material that they’ll get dinged for.

• @Revan343@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            42 months ago

That is the way to do it; let the archiver take the legal risk, that’s something they’re planning for

• Isho'ye
          link
          fedilink
          02 months ago

@gravitas_deficiency @Blaze If they’re going to be a stickler about the “in any way” bit, guess it’s against the rules to simply view it?

The browser makes a local copy in the cache. That’s how things work.

• @gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            122 months ago

You miss the point.

That post constitutes a mirrored copy of the article that was not authorized by the copyright holder. The copied text includes the bloody copyright. That’s practically begging for a legal nastygram if the admins leave that up.

• @M500@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      92 months ago

If the site is like that, then they probably already shared your info with everyone.

• Hypx
    link
    fedilink
    512 months ago

Reddit has never been a business capable of generating significant profit. It only exists because it was less monetized than the alternatives. By abandoning this philosophy, Reddit is guaranteed to be the next Digg.

• @DeVaolleysAdVocate@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    422 months ago

sustained growth can’t succeed along with the surroundings. I would like to believe that gross mismanagement would lead to the downfall of this once super cool website but I also think twitter is a stupid idea so I’m a bad judge of what will get funding. I wonder how much of that funding is shell corporations from intelligence agencies harvesting user data and training computer models though too.

• @CM400@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      82 months ago

Letting the users have their way seems like a great way to harvest better quality data from the user base. Not that I’m in favor selling user data…

• @douglasg14b@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Maybe in a few years.

Right now we’re talking 0.0057% of the monthly active users. Lemmy likes to hype itself up a lot, but the market share is incredibly tiny, and likely will be for years to come. As a platform Lemmy would be incapable of handling that kind of scale, from both a software, design, hosting, logistics, cost, moderation, and community perspective.

I’ll be here, but let’s check in each year on it. I’m guessing it will be a few before we either see accelerating growth, or Lemmy is upset by better designed federated social media software, or it’ll just be fragmented between dozens of competing platforms.

• @fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        102 months ago

Honestly, I expect that the parts of the Web I enjoy spending time will be fragmented for the foreseeable future.

Lemmy people are obsessed with growth but honestly I think there’s a trade-off that people are overlooking.

• @GoodEye8@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          62 months ago

Yeah. I don’t get the obsession with growth. I get missing some communities you want to have (that you had on Reddit for instance) but then try to cultivate those communities instead of wanting general growth. General growth just will eventually just lead to low effort posting/commenting drowning out interesting posts/discussions.

Also, if the platform is good it will grow anyway.

• @Hobbes_Dent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    132 months ago

Yeah ok. The new reality it must face is as the temporarily inconvenienced Twitter that it’s been trying so hard to be.

• Lvxferre
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I was predicting that that would happen - the current shareholders managing to pocket a hefty sum, before Reddit ruins itself. It’s worse than Reddit not being ruined, but also worse than Reddit going to ruin before its current shareholders get a profit.

The good thing about being a pessimist is that, on worst hypothesis, you’re right.