• fckreddit@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Nature can be beautiful without attributing it to God. Everyone must have seen beautiful mountains, lakes, rivers, canyons, etc.

• Jay@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

That’s what I don’t get… seeing all the earth’s wonders and knowing it took millions of years and all these geological processes to create impresses me much more than “some guy” zapping it into existence.

• DillyDaily@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

The fact that all of this is beauty was formed through completely random powers of haplenstance is far more impressive to me than someone’s imaginary friend creating it.

• JCreazy@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I find it funny when Christians say that everything is far too complex to have happened at random and it must have been designed by a deity. Bitch, God doesn’t know Math.

• Jay@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

That excuse of theirs just kicks the can down the road. It’s too complex to have formed by itself, yet an even more complex god just happens to exist to create it all? What made him then?

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

what you don’t like the dino-bone-forgeries that god satan must have planted to deceive people into thinking the earth is older than it really is?

• fckreddit@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Exactly. Anyone who has studied even one course in geology, like I have, will know that. We have seen features that have existed when humans didn’t exist, let alone a civilization. It is incredibly humbling, for instance, to see Himalayas knowing they preexisted the very minds that named them and probably will be around after the civilization that named them ceases to be.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

It’s also incredibly human centric even though it borrows from humility, like look at this awesome sight this thing that is bigger than me, that was put here for me to experience!

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

It’s also incredibly harmful to see the world as a possession made for you. We are not masters of the earth, we’re stewards. It is our home, and we treat it like our slave because we believe it was made for us. We were made by it. We are sustained by it. The same natural processes that have created all the wonders we can behold have cradled our development and nurtured our growth. And like a petulant, entitled child, we demand more.