So, we switched from one really big blanket to two individual smaller ones. And every day I’m struggling with the decision. Do I

a) let them overlap, which looks good but is a damn hassle to get undone for sleeping

b) have them separate and kinda crinkle them so they only cover one half of the bed, which looks ridiculously bad

c) some third option my simple mind could not come up with?

• Neato@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

You actually should wait an hour or two before making the bed. Let’s air out and not retain so much moisture.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

My wife an I have some hairy housemates, so we do smooth out our duvets a bit near the foot of the bed (so they have a place to nap during the day). Otherwise I’m with ya.

• JoeKrogan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I read that thinking you were talking about human housemates for a second 🤣. I haven’t had my coffee yet 😉

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Ha. Yeah, I avoided “furry” because on the fediverse I thought that was more likely to seem like I meant human. I didn’t realize how much surprise furry content was out there until I joined Mastodon.

• frosch@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Yeah… we’ve got furry little idiots that will spread hair everywhere in the bed. It’s a bit nicer to have that on top of the blankets instead of in your bed

• dependencyinjection
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I’m here to see how many people don’t make their bed. I do not and I never really understand why.

That said each to their own.

• FaceDeer@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

When I remember to I try to rearrange my sheets after I get up so that they still cover the mattress. That’s because I’ve got a dog who likes to sleep on the bed during the day, I’d rather she did that on the sheets that are easier to clean.

Otherwise, I’m not entirely sure of the point.

• CiderApplenTea@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I’ve read that it’s better not to make your bed, so the dampness created at night can evaporate. It would be even better to air out your blankets, but it’s a good excuse to give myself credit for not making the bed.

• Björn Tantau@swg-empire.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Turn them 90° and then fold them over until they fit. Folding them in halves or thirds should suffice.

Edit: Like this:

• otp@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Is the bed mostly for sleeping, or for decoration?

If it’s for sleeping, then don’t make the bed. There’s no good reason to do so.

If it’s for decoration, fold each blanket in half with one blanket covering each person’s half of the bed. Make it that way.

• frosch@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

The good reason as stated in another comment is having hairy housemates ;)

Also, I personally much prefer to get into a tidy bed, it’s just such a comfy feeling :3

• Kbin_space_program@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Third option: get blankets one bed size up.

King size comforter on a Queen size bed solved the “who stole the comforter last night issue” for me.

• geogle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

There’s two problems. The aforementioned thieving, and the midnight strangler as the blanket edge that was nicely tucked under the chin of a side-sleeper gets unceremoniously yanked by a nearby sleepyhead.

• deegeese@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Blankets go crinkly side by side so one person can go to bed earlier and night owl’s blanket is available even if sleepyhead fell asleep without unmaking the bed first.

In daytime, it looks a bit like 2 sleeping bags are spread out on the bed.