I never got into it and I feel like I’m missing a huge social part of my life. I’ve tried alcohol and it just tastes bad. Maybe if I had enough to get inebriated I’d feel different, but so far nothing about the experience of drinking has been good. Also I grew up around Baptists who don’t have drinking in the culture, so maybe that’s part of it? My parents never had alcohol in the house and there was never beer/wine at family gatherings. I never even saw a full glass of beer in person until I was like 23.

Bars are too loud and there’s too much expectation to drink, parties have the same problem, drinking at home alone sounds sad. I go to concerts and I’m the only person without a huge glass of beer. People hand me drinks and I’m like “nah” and they get mega confused.

What do I do

Is this the opposite of a problem?

• corgiwithalaptop [any, love/loves]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Firing at the hip here - I would say it’s the opposite of a problem, yeah. The reason I say that tho, is I’m the sort of person that booze will completely take over. I stay away from it entirely now as well.

Have some complicated thoughts on drinking. Going to rehab was good for me tho. SOMETIMES I miss it, but usually it doesn’t bother me at all.

• itappearsthat [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Alcohol can absolutely taste good. However, it takes time to figure out what you like and the good stuff is often quite expensive or takes skill to mix (cocktails). If you don’t want to spend time and money figuring out what you like to drink that’s totally fine. I might have one drink every three months these days. A lot of people need alcohol as a social lubricant to get over their anxieties and talk to people at parties. If you don’t then that’s cool too! To paper over awkwardness it’s good to stand around with a beverage in your hand anyway, like a fizzy water.

• axont [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

social lubricant

The one time I think I was actually intoxicated I just started crying at people and saying open personal stuff about my family abusing me, stuff I wouldn’t normally say but normally I don’t say anything to anyone at parties. It wasn’t a good time. I don’t think I’m the fun sort of drunk.

• itappearsthat [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

You can realize pleasant effects of alcohol without being drunk. I haven’t been proper drunk in probably a decade now. Most people past 30 at social gatherings just have 1-2 drinks. It’s really only college-age people that have this myopic focus on drinking to get drunk.

• decentralized_polar
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Totally agree. If drinking is the only activity during the party, I wouldn’t go there either.

• zed_proclaimer [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Most everyone doesn’t like the taste of alcohol at first, it’s an acquired taste. You just have to be peer pressured into drinking beer you hate like 25 times and then it just clicks, and suddenly it’s good.

• aaaaaaadjsf [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I never liked the taste of beer and similar drinks, but I absolutely loved the taste of hard liquor from the first time I had some. Brandy, whiskey, cocktails, all of that. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I can’t drink anymore due to medications so I miss it a bit. But on the positive side, it’s good for my health.

• hello_hello [they/them, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I hate drinking and people who drink in the same vein I despise people who smoke [mostly people who smoke shitty tobacco] indoors or in communal public spaces. It’s also a huge turn off for me for any romantic partner/s.o.

rant about drinking

I never even saw a full glass of beer in person until I was like 23.

The first drunk person I interacted with was my Dad who was yelling random shit to my mom so yeah my opinion of people who drink isn’t very high. It takes a huge part of me not to be a complete asshole to those who do. I went to a bar for the first time recently and it was a shitty experience where my peers kept doing expensive shots and dancing to extremely loud music that you couldn’t even talk over.

Bars are a horrible social space and further proof of capitalism’s ability to eradicate alternative healthier spaces and have workers drink themselves to death the same way smoking was ubiquitous (at least in America) until corpos couldn’t hide the lung disease aspect of it.

At least I live in the US of A and not in the also shitty global north nations of Japan and South Korea where drinking is worshiped as ritual. So I can count myself lucky.

• asg101 [none/use name, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

You are much better off never getting into it. I had a father and grandfather that were abusive, sadistic alcoholics, I have an alcoholic brother in law that pisses away 300 dollars a week at bars. it destroys families and lives.

• ItsPequod [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Always hated it myself, basically a teetotaller and haven’t drank anything in literally years. It tastes bad, and it always seemed like the amount of booze you needed to drink would quickly outpace the capacity of my stomach, making for a poor experience.

• Angel [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

A part of my upbringing was influenced by hearing my maternal grandfather shout back-and-forth at his new spouse he got with after my grandmother passed away. Every night I spent at his house was like this. They got drunk so damn frequently. My father who also treated me terribly had a major problem with alcoholism. His grandfather (or my great grandfather) literally died to alcohol poisoning.

As you can see, alcohol isn’t a pretty thing for me. I’m repulsed by it, and I don’t go to bars because I know the environment’s gonna be terribly awkward. One time I went to an LGBTQ-themed night club, and I couldn’t even order a Shirley Temple from the bartender without feeling awkward. Obviously, I agree with @baritone_edge@lemmy.ml’s point about socializing. I know you don’t have to drink in those kinds of settings, but socially speaking, it’s still very uncomfortable to go there if you are non-alcoholic.

I now live a straight edge lifestyle, and I prefer socializing at cafés and everything because the only “drugs” I consume are caffeine and the prescription meds I take every day. For me to say I “hate” drinking (as strong as that word is) seems like an understatement at this point. Alcohol itself is something I can’t cease to see as a poison, and the culture around it isn’t any better.

• ComradeSharkfucker@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

My girlfriend hates the taste of alcohol aswell. She enjoys being drunk but the process of getting there sucks ass. Recently she tried jello shots and those seem to be easier to get down

• GeorgeZBush [he/him]@hexbear.net
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I come from a family of alcoholics so I’ve tended to avoid it too. I occasionally have a drink here and there if I go out because of peer pressure, but I don’t really care for loud bars or getting hungover. My parents similarly never had alcohol in the house very often, just some beers once in a while during the summer months.

Can’t say I’ve really enjoyed any of the drinks I’ve had either. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with not drinking.

• sammer510 [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Shit man we don’t drink because it tastes good we drink because that’s how you get drunk. If they invented a way to do it with a pill or nasal spray or a dermal patch I’d be game (boofing is a hard pass tho). Straight alcohol tastes like ass especially beer that’s why I mostly drink sweet wines like moscato or a cocktail with lots of mixer.

I am extremely anxious, insecure, inhibited, self conscious and antisocial so I basically can’t exist in a social situation unless I get at least a little tipsy. I consider it a necessity for socializing. If you don’t have that problem then no reason to force yourself to drink. Lots of people don’t drink. I also don’t know any violent alcoholics and I don’t get hangovers so I don’t have a lot of the negative associations with drinking that many people have.

And there’s a huge leap between bar hopping and drinking alone in your room. You can have a romantic evening sharing a bottle of wine with your partner, you can have share a few drinks with friends around a campfire, you can treat yourself to a little can of something after a day of yard work or a long hike. All nice enjoyable little moments. People have been drinking wine forever for a reason. It’s just nice. But if it’s not your thing that’s okay and you shouldn’t feel bad. Some people might try to make you feel bad about it but that’s just their own insecurity about how much they themselves drink more than anything I think.

• Lerios [hy/hym]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

drinking in order to be able to speak to people

solidarity there comrade. i hate that i black out so easily, because the times i have drank at house parties and such are the only times in my life that i remember being socially functional and normal-adjacent, or enjoying being around acquaintances/strangers/friends of friends.

god i wish i could do that shit without writing off the next day doomer

• axont [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

The one time I got inebriated I did become more social, but I mostly cried and offered people way too personal information. other times alcohol has had no real effect on me that I’ve noticed.

I tend to not wanna socialize. I have avoidant personality disorder though.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Oh hey I have that too. And yeah that’s the thing about removing your inhibitions. I spend so little time talking to people and it can start to all spill put once I get drunk. I usually smoke weed when I drink which kinda helps me rein in that tendency

• Bartsbigbugbag@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Alcohol causes significantly more anxiety than it cures, it just defers it until you sober up, and if you continue to use it as social lubricant you risk alcoholism and degradation of your sober social skills. I started drinking exactly the same as your second paragraph, and it’s inherently unhealthy to use alcohol like that. I’m not saying you’re problem drinking, but drinking to rid anxiety is inherently problematic, and can lead you to some really dark places, so please just be careful. It can get out of hand really easily and lead to major consequences in your life that I wouldn’t wish upon anyone.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Alcohol causes significantly more anxiety than it cures

Maybe I’m built different but I’ve been drinking for a good decade now and this has not been my experience at all. Is this typical for other people?